Ripping and naming for discs

Everything related to MakeMKV
obitwan7

Ripping and naming for discs

Post by obitwan7 »

I am new and have been using MakeMKV for a month or so, but have a few questions that are related to each other.

1. I have many TV shows. Lets say Season 1-11 for MASH. I can rip discs in MakeMKV with no problems. What I would like to do is:
A) - For each episode on the MASH discs, they typically have 8 episodes. What MakeMKV cannot do, is tell me what the name of the episodes are and then:
B) - Each Episode has chapter markers. On average, each Episode of MASH has chapter names (usually 10 chapter names), but only when you play the disc and navigate over to Chapter selection in the disc menu.

When ripping by default, you don't have any knowledge if the correct order, say 1-8, is actually done right (I have other TV shows on disc that were not in order, even though the disc itself says it is). The offender is DuckTales and even Dark Angel TV show to name a few.

I can type all these in manually and that's what I do, but it is very time consuming. Even for regular mainstream movies do not have chapter names either. Especially the UHD discs. Most DVD versions and some regular Blu-ray's have them, but then you have to contend with different runtimes (for some say they are exactly the same, but are uncut or director's versions without telling us).

Since each version has the UPC number, they could be done correctly, but.....does anyone know of a program that can work with MakeMKV and put all the metadata in for us and then we can RIP them and of course, double-check them to be on the safe side?

I would start something myself, but do not understand enough about programming, but I would be happy to do the tedious stuff that no one seems to like to do. If there is something out there, I would love to know how everyone is accomplishing this. Doing it manually is somewhat satisfying, but very time consuming and I know the name of the episode is correct after ripping, but not necessarily the episode order. I can go on and on how IMDB, TVDB & theTVDB often conflict with each other and in turn, makes it difficult to use in PLEX or whatever each person likes to stream their media with.

I thank anyone for anything I have asked and hope there is a solution out there that I have overlooked.