Region setting

Everything related to MakeMKV
nehir

Region setting

Post by nehir »

I recently purchased a DVD drive so that I wouldn't be putting wear and tear on my UHD drive with CDs and DVDs. I'm receiving the following statement in the log:

Region setting of drive ASUS:SDRW-08U9M-U does not match the region of currently inserted disc, trying to work around...

I thought that region settings weren't an issue for MakeMKV. I've ripped discs from other regions before without any issues. This disc is a region 1 disc, so I really don't know why the error is occurring.

I am running this on a Mac. Any insights?
Woodstock

Re: Region setting

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV does not USE region settings, but, for some drives, it has to compensate for them.

Most drives, this is easy; some, it is not. The issue is not going past the built-in limitation on some drives to let you change the setting X times (X is usually 10) before disabling making the change. If MakeMKV can work around the settings without changing them, it's not a big deal.

For what it's worth, using a separate DVD-only drive (especially a low-profile one) does not save much wear over using the DVD-only hardware within your BD drive. The only difference is that you're using the red laser instead of the blue(ish) laser for the read.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging