Detectability of broken copy protection

Everything related to MakeMKV
GeorgeTheThird

Detectability of broken copy protection

Post by GeorgeTheThird »

Hello, I personally don't know exactly how the copy protection works and consequently not how MakeMKV works around it. So my question is as followed, is there any evidance in the ripped files of the blu-ray/DVD that shows there ones was a copy protection on the DVD/blu-ray? Thanks for your help!
Woodstock

Re: Detectability of broken copy protection

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV makes a copy of the video without the copy protection. Assuming you're not then distributing it without authorization, that's the end of it.

The MKV file generated does have a timestamp in it, so, if someone had an illegal copy of the file you created, it could be matched to a copy on your system, but you weren't planning on distributing it, were you?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Ezatoka

Re: Detectability of broken copy protection

Post by Ezatoka »

As much as I know:

DVD:
CSS is basically an encryption. MakeMKV removes the encryption upon decrypting. Because there are not much meta files, this is irreversible.

BluRay:
AACS is basically an encryption. MakeMKV removes the encryption upon decrypting.
MakeMKV then renames the AACS folder, where the AACS information is inside. Technically, tools can still read out the AACS version from the files MKB_RO.inf and MKB_RW.inf as long as the renamed folder is still there, though it is not necessary anymore for playing the BluRay, because the M2TS files are now unencrypted.
For certain BluRays and I think all UHDs, there is BusEncryption as well, but with that I don't have much information.