CPU Temperatures Rise

Everything related to MakeMKV
webguyky

CPU Temperatures Rise

Post by webguyky »

When using MakeMKV to rip a disk, my CPU temperatures rise to unacceptable levels. They remain high even when the program is not ripping, just sitting at the OK prompt after the rip is complete. I would expect the temperatures to rise when working, but not just sitting at the OK message box indicating done. AMD Ryzen 9 3950X processor with liquid cooling.
Woodstock

Re: CPU Temperatures Rise

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV should not raise your CPU temp significantly... otherwise it would kill 2-core processors under load. I typically run it extracting two disks (individual copies running) at the same time the CPU is doing a video encode, and the video encode is the bulk of the load. When the encode pauses, CPU load drops to maybe 10% or so for MakeMKV and other processes on the machine.

Are you watching the CPU load? Is it rising significantly when MakeMKV starts, when it starts reading, or otherwise?

Your description seems to indicate something else is running at the same time.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Radiocomms237

Re: CPU Temperatures Rise

Post by Radiocomms237 »

One of my PCs that I use for ripping discs is a REALLY OLD core duo still running Win7 x64 and I think it either doesn't have Hyper-threading or it's turned off (been so long I can't remember). CPU usage "idles" between 1%~4% (obviously some background tasks running) and I just watched the CPU monitoring as it backed-up a Blu-ray disc...

The highest my CPU usage went was 28% and that was when it was copying all the rubbish at the start, once it settled into the transport streams it hovered around 15% for the rest of the journey, I'm guessing all on a single thread.

My (old-school air-cooled) CPU temp was idling around 32ºC previously and peaked at about 37ºC (but mostly ran around 35ºC) during the backup. It ran up almost instantly when I started and settled back to around 33ºC again within 30 seconds of the backup finishing (ambient room temp is currently 24ºC). CPU & System Fan speeds barely changed throughout (maybe 50 RPM variance).

With your PC being liquid cooled, I'm wondering if the power draw from the optical drive is slowing the pump (assuming they are both powered by the PSU)?