1.17.4 Expired?

Everything related to MakeMKV
Jolter

1.17.4 Expired?

Post by Jolter »

Hi,

I am getting the popup "This application version is too old (... etc)".

However, the latest version on the web site is still 1.17.4.

Will a new release be issued soon?

Thanks,
Jolter
Woodstock

Re: 1.17.4 Expired?

Post by Woodstock »

With a current registration, you shouldn't see that... I'm using a variety of versions here, including 1.16.x, and I do not see that message.

My 1.16.5 version says:
MakeMKV v1.16.5 win(x64-release) started
Debug logging enabled, log will be saved as C:\Users\jeffb/MakeMKV_log.txt
The new version 1.17.4 is available for download at http://www.makemkv.com/download/
Where I have seen that message is when you're running on a beta key, and the beta key is expired.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
SteveS

Post by SteveS »

I am receiving the same message. I'm using the unregistered, Windows, 1.17.4 version. I have uninstalled, rebooted the computer, re-downloaded MakeMKV, reinstalled. Same message.
weefington

Post by weefington »

The readme file has "Thank you for trying out MakeMKV beta" so apparently the downloadable version from the website is an old beta version.
Philbert

Post by Philbert »

It would be nice to get a straight answer...like no more free beta, you have to pay to play.
I'm not the only one asking, just tell us what is going on. No more beta?
DWestfall

Post by DWestfall »

See the end of this forum. The answer is at the end. I made the necessary adjustments and it is working fine now.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20579
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Yes beta key expires around end of September.
This is the disadvantage of the free beta you maybe down for a few days when this happens untill the developer posts a new one.
If you wait a new one will be posted probably early October.
Or you can buy makemkv and it will work now.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Jolter

Post by Jolter »

Hi,

Thanks to everyone who answered. No-one guessed my actual problem, though: I had not registered the beta key. Because I posted without reading the FAQ first.

Sorry for this!

I guess this mechanism could be a little better advertised by the GUI. It tells me to download a later version, but what I actually need to do is go to the forums and find the current beta key. Maybe the message should be updated?

Thanks again for all your answers, and thank you very very much to the author for providing this software free of charge! I can stand to jump through a few hoops.
AaronSheffield

Post by AaronSheffield »

Well, here's the thing behind the thing: It's not really 'freeware,' and it's not really in "Beta" (unless you can still call Windows "beta" because they keep updating the thing).
Every edition has improved facility, and it works for millions of downloader-rips, so I think "Beta" is just a catchall.
Yes, there's a one-month trial period, repeatedly ad infinitum, but you have to give it up for a few days each month while waiting for a new key (as I'm sure you realize now that it's October.)
Some suggest rolling back your clock to get a few more uses out of it, but that's a fool's errand: far too many other software packages rely on a constant ongoing 'tick-tock' and log incidents by date/time.
Buying the package eliminates the issue forever, or get used to rushing those last few hours of each month till it self-disables (with the same message you received).
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Well, here's the thing behind the thing: It's not really 'freeware,' and it's not really in "Beta" (unless you can still call Windows "beta" because they keep updating the thing).
Where did you get the idea that MakeMKV is "freeware"?

It is a licensed product, that offers to let you try it. Many of us are paid users, not having to deal with the beta copy expiring.
Cbizotto

Post by Cbizotto »

Hy Friends!!
This Key Make mkv temporáry 30 days expired in 30th september? this New Key disponíble?
A big hug!!
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

WHEN the new key is issued, it will be linked in the "beta" message. Have you checked that yet?