Ripping Standard BluRay (no UHD)

Everything related to MakeMKV
the_black_falcon

Ripping Standard BluRay (no UHD)

Post by the_black_falcon »

Hi Guys,

i am new so this maybe a dumb question, but do i need a special BluRay Drive for Ripping Standard BluRays?
I dont have UHD BluRays and i am not planning on getting some in the near future.
Does makemkv function with every standard external bluray drive? Or do i have to get a special one like when ripping UHDs?

Thank you
Billycar11

Re: Ripping Standard BluRay (no UHD)

Post by Billycar11 »

the_black_falcon wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:35 pm
Hi Guys,

i am new so this maybe a dumb question, but do i need a special BluRay Drive for Ripping Standard BluRays?
I dont have UHD BluRays and i am not planning on getting some in the near future.
Does makemkv function with every standard external bluray drive? Or do i have to get a special one like when ripping UHDs?

Thank you
No special blurays drive is needed for regular bd or DVD only UHD needs special drives and fw
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Most any modern Bluray drive will read "standard" BDs. If you're buying a new one to rip UHDs, that's where the choices get more critical.

I only test UHD stuff here, so my array of drives is more diverse. 2 drives that are UHD-capable, several "regular" BD drives, and even an "emergency" DVD-only drive or two.

Buying new, I'd recommend a UHD-capable drive so you don't have to buy another if you decide to rip UHD someday. Even one that needs updating to make it UHD-capable would be fine, just don't update it NOW.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
the_black_falcon

Post by the_black_falcon »

Woodstock wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:13 pm
Buying new, I'd recommend a UHD-capable drive so you don't have to buy another if you decide to rip UHD someday. Even one that needs updating to make it UHD-capable would be fine, just don't update it NOW.
That sounds like a good idea. Having the capability of ripping UHD somwhere in the future would be nice. Maybe i go with a UHD Drive then.
But why should i not update it now?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I was referring to when you have to change the programming of the drive to do UHD. Some of the "UHD drives" won't talk UHD to general player programs, only special UHD-approved ones. You have to change the programming in the drive to enable ripping UHD.

If you're not planning on buying UHD videos now, you don't have to do the update. I have two UHD-capable drives here that are still "locked" at normal BD status, because I have no UHD need. One UHD drive is "enough" for me.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging