Problem with DTS-HD MA or even anything that uses DTS

Everything related to MakeMKV
mimosa09

Problem with DTS-HD MA or even anything that uses DTS

Post by mimosa09 »

Having a problem with DTS and was wondering if anyone would be willing to give me some helpful tips/advice.

I tried ripping a blu-ray of Godzilla (1998) and found that it uses DTS-HD audio. Windows Media player didn't play back any audio and my rip was completely silent. I also noticed some glitchy screens that popped up when playing the rip.

Not sure if it's the disc drive that I'm using or what, but I was hoping someone who has performed a successful rip using DTS-HD will tell me what's going on. I heard that VLC can handle DTS better than Windows Media Player can.

Also, is there a way to convert DTS to DD, which I've had more success with, or is there a way using HandBrake?
dcoke22

Re: Problem with DTS-HD MA or even anything that uses DTS

Post by dcoke22 »

DTS is a mandatory audio format for the blu-ray specification. I seem to recall reading somewhere that it is the most popular audio codec on blu-rays.

As I understand it, Windows Media Player does not come with the codecs necessary to play DTS, although I do believe you can download a codec pack to play DTS. VLC or MPV or lots of other players will play DTS. The MakeMKV FAQ has some comments on this topic.

DTS audio could be converted to Dolby Digital, but it is probably better to figure out a setup that can play DTS.