Unable to actually use MakeMKV

Everything related to MakeMKV
funnyman

Unable to actually use MakeMKV

Post by funnyman »

I downloaded MakeMKV in hopes I'd be able to use it to prepare for moving (get rid of my physical disc collection and scan them in). I've tried various suggestions on here, but can't seem to get MakeMKV to read my BluRays. VLC 3.0 works fine (and VideoByte trial software seems to work). I've posted the errors in the BD disc channel but I want to make sure I'm not missing some important step (like, installing libraries or something).

Any advice?
d00zah

Re: Unable to actually use MakeMKV

Post by d00zah »

You've provided very little to go on.

- What OS?
- Logs (MakeMKV output) from a failure?

A player (e.g. VLC) is designed to be forgiving when errors are encountered. You may only see a patch of static. MakeMKV attempts to achieve a perfect bif-for-bit copy. It will retry failed reads, but will ultimately bail if it can't read the data.

Conventional wisdom... no matter how perfect a disc may appear to the human eye, give it a good cleaning & retry. Warm water, maybe soap if particularly stubborn, lint free cloth.

edit:

Questions answered in the other post:

Your drive does not appear to be supported by LibreDrive. See LibreDrive and AACS.
Can't read AACS VID from disc - most likely current AACS host certificate is revoked by your drive
If supported, following 'Drive Information', you would see something like:

Code: Select all

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 1.00
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes
funnyman

Post by funnyman »

So, in summary - it sounds like I'm out of luck because the vendors have written in BIOS that this software's keys are not authorized? Is that correct?
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

funnyman wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:14 pm
So, in summary - it sounds like I'm out of luck because the vendors have written in BIOS that this software's keys are not authorized? Is that correct?
Before LibreDrive, one waited for an updated version of MakeMKV to be released. You can try emailing support@makemkv.com.