SOLVED:Webroot noticed "virus" in setup

Everything related to MakeMKV
Voyager1701

SOLVED:Webroot noticed "virus" in setup

Post by Voyager1701 »

Hi All,

Looooonnnnnnggggg time user of MakeMKV here ( and yes I did purchase a license, talk about good investments). When setting up MakeMKV on the new machine ( well, older machine that I was reinstalling windows 10 on ) Webroot called out this file as a malware/virus.
Filename was C:\Users\NuMu\AppData\Local\Temp\nsq20F2.tmp\wincdarb_inst.exe. Right now I am assuming it is a false positive, however I just wanted to make sure that it IS a false positive!

Thank you,

V
Last edited by Voyager1701 on Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Billycar11

Re: Webroot noticed "virus" in setup

Post by Billycar11 »

Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

webroot didn't "notice" a virus, it is caught up thinking that anything that maybe could have been a virus at one time definitely IS a virus RIGHT NOW!!!!

This comes up every few months, that the 32-bit installer is also used by some old virus programs. The "fix" is to ask them to verify that it is THIS TIME again. And then it stops being called a virus until the next major update of that virus scanner, where they turn it on again.

As always, my recommendation is to submit the file to them and say, "Where's the virus?"

It's not a safe idea to think that all such reports are false. There are some virii that use old installers. But the people making the claim need to back it up, I used to visit virustotal.com on a regular basis to check their tester, but got tired of that. I trust my antivirus software enough that it doesn't bother me when XXXXX says it found something with an old, generic name.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Voyager1701

Post by Voyager1701 »

Thank you, Woodstock. I saw the comment that Mike had added to the VirusTotal site and after verifying the sha256 hash of the installer, I am not too worried.

Is that file even needed for installation on 64 bit windows? Just curious!

I'll mark this as Solved.
Voyager1701 wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:34 pm
Hi All,

Looooonnnnnnggggg time user of MakeMKV here ( and yes I did purchase a license, talk about good investments). When setting up MakeMKV on the new machine ( well, older machine that I was reinstalling windows 10 on ) Webroot called out this file as a malware/virus.
Filename was C:\Users\NuMu\AppData\Local\Temp\nsq20F2.tmp\wincdarb_inst.exe. Right now I am assuming it is a false positive, however I just wanted to make sure that it IS a false positive!

Thank you,

V