Request: Keep Closed Captions in DVD video stream

Everything related to MakeMKV
ChibiRobo

Request: Keep Closed Captions in DVD video stream

Post by ChibiRobo »

Hi,

I am licensed user. I own some DVD I want to backup that have closed captions (CC) embedded in video stream. However, I do not want to lose this data when muxing to MKV. I want the original caption without converting to SRT. Currently, I noticed the data gets filtered from the video byte stream when outputting MKV. However, with some BluRay I own that have MPEG2 and CC, the CC stream is retained.

Is it possible to retain the CC data embedded within the stream for DVD also?

Thank you
mike admin

Re: Request: Keep Closed Captions in DVD video stream

Post by mike admin »

There is no such option now, and you are the first person who asked for it. I'd have to think how to do it, as it leads to a lot of confusion - when CC from mpeg always show up...
ChibiRobo

Post by ChibiRobo »

Thank you for time and consideration! I was thinking, maybe like a checkbox in advanced option to say "Keep CC in DVD video stream" or simply always include as it is part of embedded stream.
ChibiRobo

Post by ChibiRobo »

I tried to look at makemkv OSS parts to do it myself but could not find a way :D
ChibiRobo

Post by ChibiRobo »

Some context on why I request this. While it is also to maintain fuller archived copy of the original source, my interest is that CC subtitles have position data that really help me when viewing. Thank you.
ChibiRobo

Post by ChibiRobo »

Hi,
Is there any hope for this feature. It is also important to me more now, because I have found some title where built in ccextractor does not create good SRT file. And no graphical subs available :

Thank you