Request setting to disable DOH

Everything related to MakeMKV
rugo1

Request setting to disable DOH

Post by rugo1 »

@mike admin Any chance for an advanced setting to disable the applications use of DOH? DOH is blocked on my network. Thank you.
Billycar11

Re: Request setting to disable DOH

Post by Billycar11 »

Uncheck enable contacting webserver for updates
Just be aware 4K UHDs won't work when new ones come out
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
rugo1

Post by rugo1 »

Unchecking "contacting webserver for updates" doesn't help me decode UHD disks. That's why I'm asking if Mike would be willing to add a setting to disable DOH.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

So, you want to disable how the system gets updates for dealing with new 4K keys, but not disable obtaining 4K keys? Not sure I understand your request.

A lot of ISPs disable contacting Russian servers by default. That's often fixed by changing your DNS servers to someone who doesn't block hosts.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

I think they want standard dns
Doh is stands for dns over https
So it can't be viewed by firewalls because it's encrypted it can get around blocking of sites as it the firewall can't see it I'm guessing his way of not allowing that is to block all doh so his firewall rules are enforced.

But this probably helps most people as we have seen how many dns's block the keys not sure if makemkv has always done it this way or it's new.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

OK, if the host is using DNS over HTTPS, they are most likely using a "trapped" DNS server, which will block Russian sites. MAKEMKV.COM works because it's working through a repeater (you don't actually talk to the MakeMKV server directly), but the update process works directly. But DOH use is usually limited to browsers; what is set up in the system's DNS server list may have the same restrictions, but it's not accessed over HTTPS unless the application is configured for DOH... which MakeMKV is not. The DNS servers listed there probably are the SAME servers, just not spoken to by HTTPS.

I know that I use my own DNS servers, so I know what I get is really what the domain puts out. I had to disable "DNS over HTTPS" when so many of the sites I access stopped working. I could still access them EXCEPT when I turned DOH on, but DOH uses "special" servers. If the servers listed for DOH are the same as listed as DNS servers on the system, they'll have the same restrictions as the DOH version. (my standard DNS servers aren't DOH servers)

If rugo1 isn't getting through to the update server, MakeMKV is not going to be able to bypass his/her DOH setup. That's the "beauty" of a captive DNS server - it can live within certain rules. And his server's rules are, "No hosts in certain areas". It would be possible to create an entry for your local hosts file to add the resolution of MakeMKV's update server, but there is the problem if it needs to move.

Edited to add: For what it is worth, I use personal servers AND the alternate Google DNS server, 8.8.4.4. Google seems to resolve the DNS without masking for "unapproved" servers.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

rugo1 wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:25 am
@mike admin Any chance for an advanced setting to disable the applications use of DOH? DOH is blocked on my network. Thank you.
Oh, no. I'd recommend finding a free/cheap proxy/vpn and set up MakeMKV to use it. The cheapest option is to install TOR client and set socks proxy in MakeMKV preferences.
baishen

Post by baishen »

mike admin wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:06 am
rugo1 wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:25 am
Oh, no. I'd recommend finding a free/cheap proxy/vpn and set up MakeMKV to use it. The cheapest option is to install TOR client and set socks proxy in MakeMKV preferences.
Can we get an fallback to the host dns settings if the DoH doesn't work?
peter-a

Post by peter-a »

mike admin wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:06 am
I'd recommend finding a free/cheap proxy/vpn and set up MakeMKV to use it. The cheapest option is to install TOR client and set socks proxy in MakeMKV preferences.
Would you have any suggestions as to the criteria for selecting a VPN that works? As an example, where should the servers be located to provide access?

Also, with this updated access process, a quick procedure to isolate the actual cause of connectivity issues would be great. In another thread, two users are insisting that DNS is the cause of my problem, even though DNS is only used to get to the DoH servers.