Splitting apart episodes

Everything related to MakeMKV
rosede

Splitting apart episodes

Post by rosede »

I really hate ripping TV show's, because sometimes the episodes are one big file and not split on the disk. MakeMKV just rips what it finds. If all of the episodes are in one big file, then MakeMKV rips one big file and I have to use something else to split up the episodes.

I've been using Handbrake to split the episodes, but its very slow and I'm not a big fan of Handbrake to begin with. So, is there something else out there that I can use to split apart these shows into individual episodes?

Thanks

Daryl
dcoke22

Re: Splitting apart episodes

Post by dcoke22 »

I think the MKVToolNix tools can do it.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Yeah, if compressing the files is not part of your plan, just using mkvtoolnix would be the way to go. Faster than the compressing that would be part of handbrake, and the same accuracy.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
rosede

Post by rosede »

I tried MKVToolNix, but it seems even more completed.

Thanks for the input.

Daryl
bmillham

Post by bmillham »

rosede wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:32 pm
I tried MKVToolNix, but it seems even more completed.

Thanks for the input.

Daryl
What's complicated? Using MKVToolNix to just split a file by chapters is easy. Usually DVDs that do what you described has the episodes as chapters in the 'movie' version that you ripped.

Load the file up in MKVToolNix. Click on the Output tab and select 'Before Chapters' under Splitting. In the Chapter Number box enter all for all chapters. Click 'Start Multiplexing'. Simple as that.
GalaKstiv

Post by GalaKstiv »

I often use MKVToolNix to backup my anime BDs, because I dont want to include the opening and ending of each episode (gain some space becuse they are 1'30" each for every episodes, andI don't have to skip them manually when re-watching my series).
So I use MKVToolNix to divide the MKV ripped by MakeMKV to divide for the specific chapters. Unfortunately, nowadays, series usually start before the opening, and continue after the ending, which ultimately requires that I concatenate these 3 part afterward.

Can't deny it's a lot of work (considering the number of episodes per series), but I like to think it's only to smooth things out for later.

I wish I could select the chapters in selected titles to include in the MakeMKV rip directly.
Lord_EDOX

Post by Lord_EDOX »

With MKVToolNix some TV shows, like the Venture Bros for example, use two chapters per episode. You have to do chapter numbers like 1,3,5,7,9,11 and then say max number of files 6. It will then split them every two chapters into 6 files. A little painful but better than having one large MKV file for all as KODI does not finish each episode till the whole file has been viewed.