Drive doesn't read after rip

Everything related to MakeMKV
saturn2888

Drive doesn't read after rip

Post by saturn2888 »

Hi! I'm running MakeMKV through a Docker image of the Linux build on TrueNAS (side note, my purchase key doesn't work on this; only the free beta key).

My drive is the ASUS BW-16D1X-U. Not sure about the firmware version. Most-likely the latest since the last update was released in 2018, and I bought it in 2022.

Whenever I rip something and change the disk, it says "no disc inserted". In fact, many times it often says "no disc inserted" after a clean restart of the Docker container and even power cycling the drive.

I tried to mount one of the discs in TrueNAS when this happens, and it said it couldn't mount because nothing was there to mount. Another time, it tried to mount the disc, and I had to restart the system.

I've been trying on and off for hours trying to rip a few movies we bought and got 2 to work finally. If it reads the disc, everything works fine. The problem is that it's not seeing the discs in the first place.

Am I supposed to use MakeMKV to eject the disc or can I do it from the outside of the unit? Is there anything else I need to know about?
Last edited by saturn2888 on Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
saturn2888

Re: Drive doesn't read after rip

Post by saturn2888 »

I found out this was related to the auto-ripper in the Docker image. So long as that's enabled, it kills the ability to read from Blu-Ray drives even when using DVD discs.

DVD drives work fine though. Not sure why that's an issue.