Bug in 1.17.2 or conincidence Blu-rays with hundreds of duplicates

Everything related to MakeMKV
DataMeister

Bug in 1.17.2 or conincidence Blu-rays with hundreds of duplicates

Post by DataMeister »

I don't know if this is a bug in the most recent v1.17.2 for Windows or if I just happened to get two movies in a row with hundreds of duplicate titles on the disc. When I stick the regular Blu-ray disc from the UHD album for Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets or The Commuter, I get hundreds of duplicate copies of the movie in the list.

I normally just rip everything and sort it out on the hard drive. So when MakeMKV said it needed 1.2 TB of space and the destination drive wasn't big enough with only 400 GB of free space, I figured it was just a glitch. Then I came back 4 hours later and the disc wasn't finished and actually was filling up all the available space. That was the Valerian movie.

I initially chalked that up to just a special feature on the disc since Valerian was a high tech type of movie anyway, but then a couple weeks later I'm trying the Commuter and getting the same thing.

I don't think I've ever seen this before, so I'm wondering if it is MakeMKV wigging out or if I just happened to get two discs in a row with this duplicate feature.
Billycar11

Re: Bug in 1.17.2 or conincidence Blu-rays with hundreds of duplicates

Post by Billycar11 »

It's likely the playlist obfuscated stuff.
Just saying the way to do it is not what your doing you should do the folder backup it backs up everything without duplicating stuff.
Then you can sort out the right playlist much easier on your bluray drive spinning for hours is bad for it seen people kill drives in less than 2 days leaving them on doing stuff like that
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
DataMeister

Post by DataMeister »

Billycar11 wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:35 pm
you should do the folder backup it backs up everything without duplicating stuff.
Why would the folder backup not be the default?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

DataMeister wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:42 pm
Why would the folder backup not be the default?
Doing a decrypted folder backup is the methodology I use, but that initial step doesn't produce any useful .mkv files. Once I've made the backup, I open the backup in MakeMKV to create the .mkv files. On discs with playlist obfuscation, the bazillion playlists are still there and have to be dealt with. Often there's a thread on this very forum for the movie in question with people figuring out the correct playlist for the movie. I generally use the info in the thread to find the (hopefully) correct title amongst the sea of counterfeits. I rip only it (and any extras) and go forward as normal. I do not, however, delete my folder backup until I've watched the rip so as to be sure I've gotten the right title.