Where is Blu-ray PiP (Picture-in-Picture) Data?

Everything related to MakeMKV
bredboi

Where is Blu-ray PiP (Picture-in-Picture) Data?

Post by bredboi »

Over my time ripping Blu-rays, I've come across several in my collection which have Picture-in-Picture (PiP) extras. As a bit of a completionist, I've gotten into ripping extras from my Blu-rays for my media server and while I understand that PiP isnt something that's generally supported in MKV and other video containers, it feels a waste to have to leave it behind.

As such, I have a plan to convert all my PiP stuff to its own dedicated video file, with the PiP video + audio tracks overlayed onto that of the films (as is done at runtime on Blu-ray players). From watching some of them, there's clearly some supplimentary data for the PiP playback, the secondary video turns on and off, can be placed in different locations on screen, and I've even seen extra text onscreen. Now I could go through each one and manually check everything and all that, but that would be very tedious and I'd like to avoid it if possible. If I could extract this supplimentary data somehow, I could speed up or potentially even automate the process.

And so, my question is, where does this supplimentary data exist? and how may I extract it? I dont mind having to delve into the BDMV folder structure to find anything if necessary (I'm assuming I'll have to). Thanks in advance
dcoke22

Re: Where is Blu-ray PiP (Picture-in-Picture) Data?

Post by dcoke22 »

This topic has been discussed before. Look at this thread:

Picture-in-Picture Tracks
bredboi

Re: Where is Blu-ray PiP (Picture-in-Picture) Data?

Post by bredboi »

unfortunately this doesnt really have the kind of info I'm looking for, it mostly discusses the feasibility of native PiP playback through MKV which is not the path I am going down. Thanks anyway though