Copy/extract title information?

Everything related to MakeMKV
libru97

Copy/extract title information?

Post by libru97 »

So I use makemkv on my mac for ripping blu-rays and I was wondering if there is an easier way to grab all the title information to copy them in an, for example, excel files? The blu-rays have a lot of special features and different dubbing and commentary so I would like to keep track of all the info, but it would take me way too long to manually copy each individual one.

Is there a way to do what I need?
dcoke22

Re: Copy/extract title information?

Post by dcoke22 »

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. Are you saying you don't want to name/edit the metadata of all the .mkv files but keep that information separately?

If that's the case, I suppose you could, but I'm not sure why you'd want to. Lots of playback systems like Plex or Infuse use that metadata to properly identify the movie and identify different audio tracks or subtitle tracks. .mkv files have robust support for metadata, so getting the metadata right in the .mkv file makes life easier down the road in a lot of ways.

Getting the metadata right in MakeMKV is a bit of a pain. I often try to get the title right in MakeMKV, but I end up using the MKVToolNix tools quite a lot to fix up the necessary metadata after the fact. There is a GUI for those tools, but I find the command line interface to be faster and is generally what I use. Specifically mkvpropedit.

I also find the Special Features and Extras section of a blu-ray.com review (an example) to be a handy way to know of, name, and find all the extras on a disc.