Duplicate Blu-ray back-up with encryption removed possible?

Everything related to MakeMKV
Konten

Duplicate Blu-ray back-up with encryption removed possible?

Post by Konten »

Hi guys,

When making disc back-ups, for DVDs the ‘Decrypt Video Files’ option seems to always be checked and cannot be turned off (is this correct?) but for Blu-rays both options are available.

What is was wondering is the following:

If I back-up my Blu-rays with the encryption, can I later create a copy of those back-ups without it? I would like to put all of my discs into storage once I’m done, so I would not have convenient access to them anymore if I needed to do this at some point in the future.

I’ve looked at all the menu options and couldn’t find anything so I thought it might be a command line only thing perhaps…

How do you guys like to do your back-ups? Do you prefer to keep the encryption or do you remove it?

One final question: Does MakeMKV need internet access if I only use it with DVDs and Blu-rays but not UHD discs?

Thanks a lot!!
Ezatoka

Re: Duplicate Blu-ray back-up with encryption removed possible?

Post by Ezatoka »

Konten wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:11 pm
When making disc back-ups, for DVDs the ‘Decrypt Video Files’ option seems to always be checked and cannot be turned off (is this correct?) but for Blu-rays both options are available.
The latest version of MakeMKV can make a (decrypted) ISO backup of a DVD.
If I back-up my Blu-rays with the encryption, can I later create a copy of those back-ups without it?
As long as you keep the discatt.dat file, which MakeMKV creates in the main directory, then you can. If not, BlurayTestAndDecrypt eventually can be a good help (which also will need aacs keys, but they can be downloaded).
How do you guys like to do your back-ups? Do you prefer to keep the encryption or do you remove it?
I like to keep them with all copy protections, just for the sake of maybe better ways to remove them in the future. Especially on BluRays with structure protections, java protections and so on.
Konten

Re: Duplicate Blu-ray back-up with encryption removed possible?

Post by Konten »

Thank you very much for the info!!
As long as you keep the discatt.dat file, which MakeMKV creates in the main directory, then you can. If not, BlurayTestAndDecrypt eventually can be a good help (which also will need aacs keys, but they can be downloaded).
I would definitely keep the discatt.dat files. Is the procedure to make a decrypted back-up from an encrypted one in MakeMKV explained somewhere in the forum? I had hoped I could open the bdmv file just like a Blu-ray and choose back-up again but this time with the encryption removed. Of course, when I try and do this in MMKV, the only option offered is to create MKVs from the bdmv... I am using a Mac by the way...

On another note, will I be able to play back the unencrypted blu-rays back on any system that can play bdmvs even if I don’t have MakeMKV installed on it? I’m asking because the unencrypted back-ups contain a MakeMKV folder…
I like to keep them with all copy protections, just for the sake of maybe better ways to remove them in the future. Especially on BluRays with structure protections, java protections and so on.
I can see your point but wouldn't it also be the case that as long as you do manage to end up with all of the MKVs you need from your back-up, there is really no need for better decryption in the future as you would have all the files you wanted already? Apologies if I'm being dense here... I am still learning... :D