Installer error - non admin user

Everything related to MakeMKV
steffenrh

Installer error - non admin user

Post by steffenrh »

Hello,
I can see the following error when trying to perform an installation of V1.17.2 on Windows 10. On my system I have a personal user (local account) which is a Std User "stduser", and a second user which is Administrator "admin". I download the MakeMKV installer as stduser and launch the installer. Now Windows asks me for the password of the admin user. After providing the password, the installation is being performed.
When the installation finishes, I check the Windows start menu for the MakeMKV application. But, the folder and links in the Programs menu are completely missing. Now I switch user to the "admin" user, and voila! There is the start menu entry.
Means: The MakeMKV installer installs the Start Menu entry into the current user's profile, and not into the profile for All Users, where it should be. The installer should either ask the user whether it's an installation for "This user" or for "All Users" and install accordingly, or perform a "for all users" installation everytime and correct.

cu, Steffen