Cannot Download for Mac

Everything related to MakeMKV
Tango

Cannot Download for Mac

Post by Tango »

I see a few recent reports about the MakeMKV site being down. I go to the front page and it's up, but I cannot download MakeMKV for the Mac (I'm hoping for an update, since I'm having problems with 1.17.2 [darwin(x64-release].)

When I go to the main page, I get this, which looks normal, or mostly normal:
Screen Shot 2022-11-29 at 11.47.42 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-11-29 at 11.47.42 AM.png (283.52 KiB) Viewed 1765 times
I can download for Windows, but not for Mac. (The Windows download link goes directly to the executable.)

When I click the link to go to the download page, I get a 404 error:
Screen Shot 2022-11-29 at 11.44.48 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-11-29 at 11.44.48 AM.png (27.32 KiB) Viewed 1765 times
(Note the URL there - it is pointing to a page named "download.") This happens if I click the link in the list of links or if I click the link by the MakeMKV screenshot.
Woodstock

Re: Cannot Download for Mac

Post by Woodstock »

As of 11:25 Central time on 11/29, I'm able to download 1.17.2 for both Mac and Windows through that page, so it may be caching issues.

Of course, that doesn't help if you're waiting for something newer than 1.17.2, since it hasn't changed yet.

https://www.makemkv.com/download/old/ works for pulling up older stuff, though.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Tango

Post by Tango »

Woodstock wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:27 pm
As of 11:25 Central time on 11/29, I'm able to download 1.17.2 for both Mac and Windows through that page, so it may be caching issues.
Interesting. I cleared my cache and tried again in Chrome and still got the error. Tried on the same computer in Firefox, which I would never have used for this. (I have Firefox for specifically 2 functions - use it only for those topics to make life easier!) Odd that it won't load on 2 different browsers on the same computer, but will on another on the same LAN. At least it's not the site that's the problem.

I went down to my shop and tried from there, on Chrome. It goes through the same Starlink internet connection and it loads fine on Chrome on the barn Mac, but not on the Mac in my house.
Woodstock wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:27 pm
Of course, that doesn't help if you're waiting for something newer than 1.17.2, since it hasn't changed yet.
Yeah, I'm having issues with ripping these days - I was hoping it might not be an issue in the update. But thanks for the links to older downloads! That could be a big help, since an older version might not have the bug. (I've only encountered it in the past few weeks. It could be after I updated.)
Tango

Post by Tango »

Took some time for me to think about this and track down the issue. I use PIA (Private Internet Access) on my study computer, but not on my workshop computer. I easily forget about it, since it's basically set it up and forget about it.

I found when I used several proxy locations, I could not get to the download page. (I forgot to check if I could still download the Windows executable under those conditions - oops!) After trying 3-4 different VPN server locations with PIA, I found one that let me get to that page on that computer.

Looks to me like they've had issues and maybe blocked the IP addresses of some of their VPN servers. Probably a few idiots doing bad things that have made those IP addresses look like a bad risk.