General questions about the purchase of keys

Everything related to MakeMKV
kurukurusu

General questions about the purchase of keys

Post by kurukurusu »

Hello all,

I have been using MakeMKV for quite a while and I am very impressed with this well working software.

I am thinking about buying a key, but I have some questions about these registration keys.

1. Do the registration keys have any kind of restrictions?
1.1 Can I use the key between different CPU architectures and operating systems?
1.2 Can I use the key unlimited times or is it like EA Games where I have to contact support after every 5 activations with the same key?
1.3 Can I use the key on different devices at the same time? For example on a RasPi Mediacenter and on the PC.

2. is an internet connection necessary to use the full functionality of MakeMKV?

I would be happy if there is a suitable answer to all my questions.

For example, I am someone who frequently changes his PC or OS environment, and I don't want to buy a license that I can't transfer to different environments.
So I would be happy if experienced users or people responsible for the software could give me an answer.

PS: I have already searched this forum for answers to my questions, but have not found them. So I apologize if I have overlooked older posts on this topic.
Woodstock

Re: General questions about the purchase of keys

Post by Woodstock »

1. Registered key applies to all three versions of MakeMKV, Windows, MacOS, and Linux.
2. Internet connection is optional when dealing with a registered version, but... if you're ripping something like a 4K movie that had not been ripped by the time of your last internet connection, you WILL get a notice about needing a connection to get the key.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
kurukurusu

Post by kurukurusu »

Thank you for your reply.
But I am still unclear what applies to 1.1, 1.2, 1.3.

Can I enter the registry key infinite times on a reinstall?

Is the registry key bound to a certain CPU architecture? MakeMKV is now also available for armv7 and armv8 CPUs. Can I use such a license beside amd64 also on arm?

Can I run multiple platforms at once with one license?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

As long as you own the system, it's legal to install any version of MakeMKV with the same key. I have systems with 1.15.x, 1.16.x, and 1.17.x installed. All are under my control, and used for different things.

If MakeMKV runs on the system, the key works on it. Theoretically, you could run it on 10,000 systems, but few people would own that many systems. I've run it on a half-dozen system, but I'm down to two right now. The key is tied to your ownership; not the architecture of the CPU.

Now, passing that key around to your friends is not acceptable behavior. The person being authorized is you. Not your "group of friends that is unnamed". Not 10,000 friends you know on your personal group of people trying to get away with spending USD 60 instead of paying 20 or 30 licenses to cover their usage. One person, one license.

If you own "infinite systems", you could put your licensed copy on "infinite systems". If you have infinite friends, you can install it on systems you own and control, not "infinite friends' systems".
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
kurukurusu

Post by kurukurusu »

Thank you very much for your answer.

I was hesitant at first because there is nothing about the registration key in the license agreement.
I was simply concerned whether there are restrictions on the use of keys.
In many programs where a license must be purchased, there are usually strict limitations.
As an example:
Licenses of Windows, CodeWarrior, ARM DS, ... are mostly bound to the hardware.
Licenses of Mathworks, Solidworks, many games, etc on installed instances.

For me, it is actually no longer self-evident that a license has hardly any restrictions.
But if indeed your described case of benefit of the keys applies, then I am very relieved.
As a private person, I would not like to struggle with the support, so that my license is supported on other devices.
I have simply had too many bad experiences and that would not be worth the money