Advice on Converting Rips to Playback ATMOS on AppleTV (Infuse)

Everything related to MakeMKV
shukla

Advice on Converting Rips to Playback ATMOS on AppleTV (Infuse)

Post by shukla »

Its my understanding that AppleTV cannot play TrueHD passthrough so the audio is converted down to PCM on playback which is limited to 5.1/7.1. I am curious if there is a way to convert my MKV rips to a format that will play the full atmos audio so I can take advantage of the heights in my 5.1.2 setup.

Any advice is much appreciated!
dcoke22

Re: Advice on Converting Rips to Playback ATMOS on AppleTV (Infuse)

Post by dcoke22 »

The AppleTV will do E-AC-3 + Dolby Atmos. Atmos on blu-rays is typically TrueHD + Atmos as I'm sure you're aware. I'm not aware of any tools available to regular people to transcode TrueHD + Atmos to E-AC-3 + Atmos.

Infuse's entry about AppleTV audio.
mattyj2001

Post by mattyj2001 »

I got annoyed enough with Apple's lack of TrueHD + Atmos that I bought an Nvidia Shield. Slap Kodi on that bad boy and you got yourself some Atmos playback from all your Blu-ray/UHD rips.

I check back in once in a while in case Apple has started supporting other flavors of Atmos, I'd very much like to go back to an ATV, but for now I gotta deign to use this (admittedly pretty good, but not as good an an ATV) AndroidTV device.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

What app is used on the Shield to play an MKV with THD Atmos??
mattyj2001

Post by mattyj2001 »

Kodi. It's a little bloaty but seems pretty reliable. I routinely stream 4k uncompressed rips through it from a NAS and it rarely flails. I'm going through a Samsung soundbar and it recognizes Atmos in a THD wrapper, no problem.