Can someone guide me in he right direction for subtitles?

Everything related to MakeMKV
czhong

Can someone guide me in he right direction for subtitles?

Post by czhong »

Slowly been building a plex server and digitizing my collection. Have been trying to figure out how to grab the subtitles from the discs but haven’t had luck (they’re all blu ray and Criterion)

Maybe I’m missing something obvious but I use makemkv to pull the mkvs (movie + extras) then hand break 1080p fast to compress them.

I’m not even a huge sub person I don’t need them but I do have a lot of foreign films and tv shows in my collection, haven’t tested one yet as I just got my optical drive setup yesterday. Got a German one ripping rn so I guess I’ll see.

Any help would be appreciated :)
Woodstock

Re: Can someone guide me in he right direction for subtitles?

Post by Woodstock »

General advice: Rip with every subtitle available, view what you got while selecting available subtitles, then have handbrake encode with your subtitle choices.

Going to MP4 limits your subtitle choices for anything other than DVD. Using MKV lets you rearrange subtitles to suit your needs, from having them burned in to having them selectable.

If you're going with MKV files, you will want to add mkvtoolnix to your tools, so you can set tracks "better" than handbrake alone.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging