A Few Questions About Ripping My Collection

Everything related to MakeMKV
Osiris3.0

A Few Questions About Ripping My Collection

Post by Osiris3.0 »

I've recently decided to get into the collecting game.Between how finicky some 4K discs are and the uncertain future of 4K Blu Ray Players(I have a sneaking suspicion that LG will be next to stop making players altogether, leaving just a few), not to mention how expensive they are, i've decided to rip my collection.I've never ripped discs before let alone 4Ks.My plan currently is to rip them using MakeMKV and play them using VLC on my Nvidia Shield.I have some questions about the finer details.

First, I want to confirm that MakeMKV rips are truely lossless.My impression is that it rips literally every bit of video and audio quailty, so it's as if you're playing back the Blu Ray itself.Is that accurate?Can the Nvidia Shield and a USB drive be my new "4K Blu Ray player" and "Blu Ray Disc"?It would kind of defeat the purpose of ripping Blu Rays if it wasn't an absolutely perfect copy equal to the disc.How is HDR handled in playback?Some 4Ks have HDR10 and Dolby Vision.On a Blu Ray player it can automatically play Dolby Vision, or you can turn it off/on and switch between them in the settings.Is that how it works with MKV rips?

I also want to keep all of the extras.I know most people don't care about that stuff, but I like seeing interviews and behind-the-scenes stuff.I've already seen threads on here where people say to use DVDCompare to look at the run times to know which files are which extras to correctly name them.Are things like a director's audio commentary just another audio track like different languages?Will it be labeled as such?

Another method I was reading about on some other forums was making ISO files and playing them back with the menus and everything using Kodi.Is that possible?Is that something MakeMKV can do as well?
Coopervid

Re: A Few Questions About Ripping My Collection

Post by Coopervid »

Osiris3.0 wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:08 am
I've recently decided to get into the collecting game.Between how finicky some 4K discs are and the uncertain future of 4K Blu Ray Players(I have a sneaking suspicion that LG will be next to stop making players altogether, leaving just a few), not to mention how expensive they are, i've decided to rip my collection.I've never ripped discs before let alone 4Ks.My plan currently is to rip them using MakeMKV and play them using VLC on my Nvidia Shield.I have some questions about the finer details.

First, I want to confirm that MakeMKV rips are truely lossless.My impression is that it rips literally every bit of video and audio quailty, so it's as if you're playing back the Blu Ray itself.Is that accurate?Can the Nvidia Shield and a USB drive be my new "4K Blu Ray player" and "Blu Ray Disc"?It would kind of defeat the purpose of ripping Blu Rays if it wasn't an absolutely perfect copy equal to the disc.How is HDR handled in playback?Some 4Ks have HDR10 and Dolby Vision.On a Blu Ray player it can automatically play Dolby Vision, or you can turn it off/on and switch between them in the settings.Is that how it works with MKV rips?

I also want to keep all of the extras.I know most people don't care about that stuff, but I like seeing interviews and behind-the-scenes stuff.I've already seen threads on here where people say to use DVDCompare to look at the run times to know which files are which extras to correctly name them.Are things like a director's audio commentary just another audio track like different languages?Will it be labeled as such?

Another method I was reading about on some other forums was making ISO files and playing them back with the menus and everything using Kodi.Is that possible?Is that something MakeMKV can do as well?
Yes, the rips are lossless. If you want menus, please rip to folder. Using Imgburn you can then also make an ISO from the folders. Please delete or don't include the MAKEMKV that will be created.
Personally I have an Oppo clone M9702 to play pretty much everything which I think is perfect. You can purchase the successor M9201. It plays everything besides DolbyVision from MKV-files since this format was created after Oppo ceased to make players and these clones use the Oppo firmware. If you prefer a NVIDIA shield or a Zidoo I can't help here. But looking at what you want I suggest the Oppo clones.
Osiris3.0

Post by Osiris3.0 »

I think I need a little help here.This is what i'm seeing:

Drive Information
OS device name: \Device\CdRom0
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: ASUS
Product: BW-16D1HT
Revision: 3.10
Serial number: KLZL4SJ1629
Firmware date: 2119-01-04 10:14
Bus encryption flags: 1F
Highest AACS version: 62

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Harware support: Yes
Firmware support: No
Firmware type: Original (patched version available)
Firmware version: 3.10
DVD all regions: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw data read: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw metadata read: Possible (with patched firmware)
Unrestricted read speed: Possible (with patched firmware)

How do I patch the firmware?
Osiris3.0

Post by Osiris3.0 »

I think I need some help here.This is what i'm seeing:

Drive Information
OS device name: \Device\CdRom0
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: ASUS
Product: BW-16D1HT
Revision: 3.10
Serial number: KLZL4SJ1629
Firmware date: 2119-01-04 10:14
Bus encryption flags: 1F
Highest AACS version: 62

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Harware support: Yes
Firmware support: No
Firmware type: Original (patched version available)
Firmware version: 3.10
DVD all regions: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw data read: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw metadata read: Possible (with patched firmware)
Unrestricted read speed: Possible (with patched firmware)

Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:ILLEGAL MODE FOR THIS TRACK' occurred while reading 'BD-RE ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.10 KLZL4SJ1629' at offset '524288'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:ILLEGAL MODE FOR THIS TRACK' occurred while reading 'BD-RE ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.10 KLZL4SJ1629' at offset '524288'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:ILLEGAL MODE FOR THIS TRACK' occurred while reading 'BD-RE ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.10 KLZL4SJ1629' at offset '1048576'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:ILLEGAL MODE FOR THIS TRACK' occurred while reading 'BD-RE ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.10 KLZL4SJ1629' at offset '1048576'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:ILLEGAL MODE FOR THIS TRACK' occurred while reading 'BD-RE ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.10 KLZL4SJ1629' at offset '32768'

How do I patch the firmware?
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »