Errors on all attempts

Everything related to MakeMKV
mp1161

Errors on all attempts

Post by mp1161 »

Hey everyone, I have ran into a problem that I cannot seem to figure out how to fix.

I was ripping my DVDs today and I had about 5 different DVDs fail on me all at once. It lets me scan the DVD and select what I want to rip, but once I do it will eventually fail as it is in the process of ripping it. I thought this was unusual so I attempted to rip a previous DVD that I had ripped earlier in the morning. It failed as well. Here is the troubleshooting that I have done:

- Uninstalled/Reinstalled MakeMKV and ensured I had the newest version.
- Ensured I was using the most recent registration key.
- Restarted my computer and made sure my Windows/etc did not need any updates.
- Played a DVD in my optical drive to ensure it was still reading discs.

Anyone have any ideas?
Woodstock

Re: Errors on all attempts

Post by Woodstock »

Hard to say what the error is, without seeing what is output. Could simply be bad disks, or could be inadequate power to the drive.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
mp1161

Post by mp1161 »

Woodstock wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:34 am
Hard to say what the error is, without seeing what is output. Could simply be bad disks, or could be inadequate power to the drive.
I attached a screenshot of one.
Attachments
Error
Error
Error.jpg (288.9 KiB) Viewed 2911 times
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

So the disk contains a lot of errors. It managed to work around a lot of them, but it stopped when it couldn't.

Cleaning the disk will probably help, but there is no guarantee. MakeMKV will only save a file if it can read the whole thing.
mp1161

Post by mp1161 »

Woodstock wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:25 pm
So the disk contains a lot of errors. It managed to work around a lot of them, but it stopped when it couldn't.

Cleaning the disk will probably help, but there is no guarantee. MakeMKV will only save a file if it can read the whole thing.
So you can confirm the problem is the disc? Like I said I have had around 10 discs all fail consecutively, even ones that were previously successfully ripped.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The most likely scenario is a failed disk. It is possible that the drive has simply died, but unlikely.

A full reset (as in powering the drive down and back on) will sometimes help, but that would be unusual when it's finding PARTS of the disk readable, even when they take a few times to get a successful read.
mp1161

Post by mp1161 »

Thanks for your help and input.