Are new decryption keys downloaded from a server automatically?

Everything related to MakeMKV
heoun

Are new decryption keys downloaded from a server automatically?

Post by heoun »

From what I've seen online, it seems there are some new 4K blu-ray discs that have recently been released that MakeMKV is unable to decrypt because it doesn't know their decryption keys (I have some such discs myself). I've read that the decryption keys might be downloaded from a server; is that correct? So when new discs come out, is it just a matter of downloading the new decryption keys, rather than a whole new version of MakeMKV?

If so, I'm also curious if that's an automatic process or if we have to manually download new decryption keys for MakeMKV? And I'm curious if there's a way we can check (or get notifications) to see if new decryption keys have been added?
Woodstock

Re: Are new decryption keys downloaded from a server automatically?

Post by Woodstock »

4K disks do require downloads at present. Rumor has it that this will change in the future, but no time has been specified yet. This is not a download of MakeMKV - just the decryption keys.

4K key download is doing automatically, if the disk has a key already. If not, or you have the automatic download disabled (hey, some people don't trust ANYTHING automatic like that!), you will get a message about it.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging