Making changes to GUI

Everything related to MakeMKV
danielelectronics

Making changes to GUI

Post by danielelectronics »

Hello All,
I've read on this forum and on reddit that "the GUI is open source" but after reading the license.txt file from the makemkv-oss source code archive that I downloaded from this forum, I am not so sure.

Basically, I want to make some very minor changes to the source code for the GUI to add some convenience features. I want to add "Select all but this item" and "Unselect all but this item" to the right-click menu in the title tree view. I'd like to share the changes as a patch file on this forum so that other people can apply the patch before building the GUI from source if they find these features useful.

Would this be a violation of the license? Whom should I ask for permission (if required)?

Thanks in advance!
Woodstock

Re: Making changes to GUI

Post by Woodstock »

Not sure what you would have read that says MakeMKV is "open source". Parts of it are, and those are isolated from the closed-source stuff.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
danielelectronics

This thread say the GUI is open source.
viewtopic.php?t=3891#top

But when I downloaded the source code for the GUI from this post (link below), the license.txt file makes it seem like only some of it is open source. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=224

So I guess that's what I'm asking for clarification on. Can I modify some of the files that make up the GUI?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

You can make any changes you want to the source, be it closed or open. Distributing changes would be different; but it's been so long since I looked at the source code I can't say what.

As I remember it, the parts that weren't "open source" were compressed in a way that made them non-readable.

Mike will have to say what's what, though.
danielelectronics

Thanks for the quick responses, Woodstock. Is Mike the author/owner of the program?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

He's "the MAN", owner and author.
danielelectronics

:D
Well he's a legend for making this software. And for only $60.
danielelectronics

I've attached a gif of the feature. If I get permission, I'll share the changes in this forum as a patch file that folks can use when building the GUI from source.
Attachments
Screencast.gif
Screencast.gif (227.56 KiB) Viewed 5786 times
Jimmers

Post by Jimmers »

Bump

I have run into several disks that use an obfuscation technique that creates a very large list of files that must be deselected. They can average around 100. This is a very tedious process to and the ability to de/select all would be very helpful
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

To be honest, the MakeMKV GUI is open source mostly to satisfy the QT (and others) licensing requirements, and to ease the linux build. It was "truly" open source for a while, but was discontinued then.

As for your changes - obliviously, your contribution would be very welcome. I'd prefer to avoid making forks - so it wold be nice to integrate your changes into main source tree.

Thanks for asking the permission.

Please write me to support@makemkv.com .
wmcclain

Post by wmcclain »

Jimmers wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:10 pm
Bump

I have run into several disks that use an obfuscation technique that creates a very large list of files that must be deselected. They can average around 100. This is a very tedious process to and the ability to de/select all would be very helpful
Try right-click on the list.
Capsule film reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Jimmers

Post by Jimmers »

wmcclain wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:27 pm
Try right-click on the list.
I have.
danielelectronics

mike admin wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:09 pm
To be honest, the MakeMKV GUI is open source mostly to satisfy the QT (and others) licensing requirements, and to ease the linux build. It was "truly" open source for a while, but was discontinued then.

As for your changes - obliviously, your contribution would be very welcome. I'd prefer to avoid making forks - so it wold be nice to integrate your changes into main source tree.

Thanks for asking the permission.

Please write me to support@makemkv.com .
Thank you for following up on this. I had forgotten about it to be honest. I would love it if these changes were included in the main source. I just made sure that everything still worked on 1.17.2, and sent a patch file with the changes to support@makemkv.com.

Thanks again,
Daniel