A few Newb-ish questions about BluRay

Everything related to MakeMKV
raycaster30

A few Newb-ish questions about BluRay

Post by raycaster30 »

Hey there
Maybe a few newb-ish questions about BluRay decryption and so on, but got the message of "The volume key is unknown for this disc" which led me down a bit of a spiral in finding out more about BluRay and how things work.

So after searching around a bit and as suggested by some others, I sent the dump files to the given mail address and hope they can add it soon in the future. But in the meantime I was interested in finding out more about the general process of "how" this even works, however information is a bit sparse online about this or I'm simply not sure what to search for.

In my example, the BluRay I tried to dump is about 5 years old now and it was re-released a few times it seems. The entry does appear in the keydb.cfg (with my specific release date) just fine but I'm not sure what or why there is a difference for hashed keys and the keydb? Is the hashed format something that is now required for "more modern" discs? The MKB seems to be v72, and I did find something about MKB v68 and above requiring some other way to handle, but I haven't found much more beyond that.

So in a nutshell I'm interested in what this all means, for my own understanding on how things work together and what it all means. Thanks in advance!
demon

Re: A few Newb-ish questions about BluRay

Post by demon »

raycaster30 wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:55 pm
Hey there
Maybe a few newb-ish questions about BluRay decryption and so on, but got the message of "The volume key is unknown for this disc" which led me down a bit of a spiral in finding out more about BluRay and how things work.
If it's just a normal Blu-ray Disc, you shouldn't need to worry about hashed keys. With the leak of player keys years ago, that opened up all Blu-ray Disc titles to dumping. It is still used for UltraHD Blu-ray Disc/AACS 2.x, but AACS 1.0 (what Blu-ray Disc uses) doesn't need it. What title are you having issues with specifically?
So after searching around a bit and as suggested by some others, I sent the dump files to the given mail address and hope they can add it soon in the future. But in the meantime I was interested in finding out more about the general process of "how" this even works, however information is a bit sparse online about this or I'm simply not sure what to search for.

In my example, the BluRay I tried to dump is about 5 years old now and it was re-released a few times it seems. The entry does appear in the keydb.cfg (with my specific release date) just fine but I'm not sure what or why there is a difference for hashed keys and the keydb? Is the hashed format something that is now required for "more modern" discs? The MKB seems to be v72, and I did find something about MKB v68 and above requiring some other way to handle, but I haven't found much more beyond that.
Are you using the current version? The latest version supports MKB v76 out of the box, so I don't know of anything special that should need to be done.