Need some help with +sel:(forced&(eng))

Everything related to MakeMKV
Ananais

Need some help with +sel:(forced&(eng))

Post by Ananais »

Hi Folks,

Need to check if I am understanding something correctly here.

I am backing up the Game of Thrones DVD's, which unlike almost everything else I have, actually use a single subtitle track with forced flags, rather than a separate subtitle track with only the foreign parts. I can see this in Subtitle edit if I pull the sub track out and tell it to only show me lines with the forced flag.

Now for ages, I have had "-sel:subtitle, +sel:(forced&(eng))" set in MakeMKV, thinking that if I did ever come across a disk that actually used forced sub flags, this was supposed to tell it to make a track that only had the forced subs included.

Whenever I rip the disk though, it just pulls the whole sub track, and I do not know whether this is just me not understanding how this works, or if I have some config error?

Wanted to see if someone could clarify for me before I go do all the subs manually.

Cheers,

A
Chetwood

Re: Need some help with +sel:(forced&(eng))

Post by Chetwood »

Try * instead of & which works for me.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Ananais

Post by Ananais »

Thank you for the suggestion, but no luck I am afraid :(

Attempted with;

-sel:all,+sel:(favlang),-sel:(havemulti|havecore),-sel:(special),-sel:subtitle,+sel:(forced*(eng))

and

-sel:all,+sel:(favlang),-sel:(havemulti|havecore),-sel:(special),+sel:(forced*(eng))

Results were either no subs, or full subs.

Could I ask though, is the intended result of using this option for MakeMKV to generate a track with only the subtitle lines which are marked as forced? That was how I understood it when I added it, but I cannot shake the feeling that I have misunderstood something..

Appreciate the assistance,

A.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Using

-sel:all,+sel:(deu|eng|nolang),-sel:(core),-10:(forced*(eng)),-15:(deu),-20:(forced*(deu))

MakeMKV will open the disc and pre-select all English and German subs including (forced only).

And yes, this means that if there are forced items inside a subtitle track, MakeMKV will create one separate track with only these forced items. Ripping GoT S07E02 fom Bluray will create an English track of only 11 items where Melisandre is introducing herself to Daenerys in Valyrian. The German forced sub additionally contains the translation of the titles of two of the books Archmaester Ebros is stacking on Samwell's arms in the library of the citadel of Altsass. Signs and stuff are often translated on German BDs which is why we often get forced subs when US BDs don't.

Also created is the regular sub with 792 items which also contains the forced items. So, for this episode my subs look like this:

German forced
German
English forced
English
Ananais

Post by Ananais »

Interesting,

I just gave it a try using those settings, but still only generated full subtitle files, one in German and one in English.

I wonder; is it possible that this function just does not work with DVD's? I have yet to make the jump to Bluray so cannot try with one, but I understand the structure is quite different?

Thank you again for the assistance.

A.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

That actually seems to be the case: when you open the GoT DVD in MakeMKV, you don't get the forced subtitle track you can select with BDs. The only thing you can do is extract the sub and use BDSUP2SUB to create a new track with only the forced items to be muxed into your MKV with MKVToolnix. Or be lucky and find a player that also shows these forced items when inside an MKV.
Last edited by Chetwood on Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ananais

Post by Ananais »

Well, it is good to know that it was not just me messing up the settings!

I will go back to including all the relevant language subtitle files as default so that I can easily pull out any forced ones at a later date if I miss them to begin with.

This is fortunately how I have done most of my collection before deciding that I needed to play with the settings, so if I have missed any until now, not such a big deal :lol:

Appreciate all of the assistance,

A.