Where to repair discs?

Everything related to MakeMKV
HerrNerdstrom

Where to repair discs?

Post by HerrNerdstrom »

Greetings,

I've been running into some problems with a few discs recently. I think the problems are due to various scratches and imperfections on the media. I've tried Disc Dr and am now experimenting with some buffing compounds. Any help here is appreciated -- what tools do you all use?

As part of this, some of the discs improve slightly due to repair efforts so far. However, some problems still exist. MakeMKV will provide something like "DEBUG: Code 0 at ,4D\]h+U3J>cG$yoO:213130237" when running into some problems. Does this error indicate the location on the disc? How do I translate that to finding the place on the disc surface that needs the most attention? Some of the discs look perfect, so I'm not sure where to focus my efforts.

Thanks!
dcoke22

Re: Where to repair discs?

Post by dcoke22 »

"DEBUG: Code 0 at ,4D\]h+U3J>cG$yoO:213130237" is an internal tracing message that's really only useful to the developer of MakeMKV. It also doesn't necessarily indicate a problem.

Perhaps post your whole log of MakeMKV trying to rip one of your problematic discs?
Ananais

Re: Where to repair discs?

Post by Ananais »

This wont help repair the disks, but may be of some use to you.

I used ISOBuster to rip some old home videos from mini-dvd's which had degraded and failed through any of my usual programs.

When it hits something it absolutely cannot read, it will give you the option to replace the data with 0's or dummy data rather than failing.

You can then use MakeMKV on the output ISO file just like you would for a normal disk, except that reading and writing from an SSD will go at about 250X ^-^.

For me, there were a few disks that I still could not salvage with this method, but for most of them there were a few skipped frames at the worst, overall much better than not being able to retrieve any of it, and a pretty good lesson in not being lazy about backing up...