Please Help, MakeMKV bricked

Everything related to MakeMKV
MacGuyverr

Please Help, MakeMKV bricked

Post by MacGuyverr »

I have tried parsing through posts on the subject already but people are talking in pure internet lingo on them and i just cant follow along through 10 pages. Automatic KD downloading is disabled or failed. Is whats popping up when i try ripping Dune 4K. I havent tried another 4K yet, but this is the newest disk i own. Everything else i have is digitized and compressed. So from my understanding attempting another rip wouldnt help since i have the keys for them anyway. I dont think i had any issues like this before where it cant download. Please help, this program is a core part of my media backup project. I dont know how i would be able to continue immortalizing my media without it functioning. I have tried changing my server's DNS (windows 10 pro) and turned off the firewalls temporarily to see if they were blocking it. Nothing worked. Uninstalled and reinstalled MakeMKV even. Nothing, i bought the lifetime key a long time ago. Im sure its something stupid, to my knowledge nothing on my system in this house has changed since my last rip. I use ubiquity router and the server is directly connected.
dcoke22

Re: Please Help, MakeMKV bricked

Post by dcoke22 »

Did you look at the Hashed Keys section of the UHD FAQ?

If you're using a Ubiquiti router, it might be doing geo-blocking which is often problematic for people.
gtrogue

Post by gtrogue »

dcoke22 wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:10 pm
Did you look at the Hashed Keys section of the UHD FAQ?

If you're using a Ubiquiti router, it might be doing geo-blocking which is often problematic for people.
It's not going to help. There is a problem with the server or the software. I have the same problem and, I suspect, so does everyone else. If you've had a successful download recently then you can most likely still rip newer UHD discs even though you are getting the error (most people aren't paying attention to the message because the rip is still successful). If you haven't successfully downloaded in a while then you get the error and the disc will fail to rip.

On my Mac, where I hadn't opened the application in a while, I couldn't rip a particular disc that just came out. On my PC where I was successfully ripping discs last week I was able to rip the disc even though I was still getting the "Automatic HK downloading is disabled or failed" message.
I have tried on several different networks and PC's & Macs and they all get the error. I've even tried multiple times while connected to a VPN through different countries. It isn't a network or firewall setting causing the problem.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

It is my understanding that the hashed keys are downloaded to your data directory as listed in your MakeMKV preferences and stored in the file _private_data.tar. The keys are cumulative, meaning, when your install of MakeMKV doesn't have a key, it asks for the latest version of the hashed keys file from the server, getting all current keys. On my system, the file is date stamped July 26, which roughly corresponds to the last time I ripped a UHD.

I believe you could copy the newer _private_data.tar from your PC to your Mac and your Mac would be able to rip everything the PC could rip.

If the server side really is having difficulty at the moment, hopefully Mike is working on it.
MacGuyverr

Post by MacGuyverr »

I have tried reaching the site on my phone using cell signal, my main pc and my server on the same network at home. I have also tried ripping on both systems using the same drive. I don't have the key required for this film yet, as it fails the rip as soon as it can't contact the server for download.

As for the geo blocking, that would have had to been instituted by Ubiquity without my consent, because I have immortalized my whole physical collection over the past year with no issues on this network.
gtrogue

Post by gtrogue »

MacGuyverr wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:24 am
I have tried reaching the site on my phone using cell signal, my main pc and my server on the same network at home. I have also tried ripping on both systems using the same drive. I don't have the key required for this film yet, as it fails the rip as soon as it can't contact the server for download.

As for the geo blocking, that would have had to been instituted by Ubiquity without my consent, because I have immortalized my whole physical collection over the past year with no issues on this network.
It's definitely the server, not you. Everyone is having the issue. One of my PCs was last able to download the HK file on 8/10 so it hasn't affected my ripping of newer discs on that machine. However, when I tried on my Mac that I hadn't used in a while I had the same problem as you, the rip would fail immediately after failing to download the file. I hadn't run MakeMKV on that Mac for at least 4 months so anything newer than that isn't going to rip.
gtrogue

Post by gtrogue »

When was Mike's last post? I know the site for downloading is hosted in Russia. Is Mike in Russia? Did he get swooped up by the SVR? :D
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

gtrogue wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:45 pm
When was Mike's last post? I know the site for downloading is hosted in Russia. Is Mike in Russia? Did he get swooped up by the SVR? :D
Unless he's posting from detention... :o

viewtopic.php?p=125740#p125740