Rip *not* failing at errors, GP65NB60

Everything related to MakeMKV
nmo4v

Rip *not* failing at errors, GP65NB60

Post by nmo4v »

I've gotten use to ripping discs and throwing them on my Plex because I know MakeMKV fails the rip if it can't get a perfect copy of the file off the disc. Recently I started using two GP65NB60 external DVD drives to rip DVDs at the same time. One drive fails just fine when if it comes across a disc that's too damaged, but the other drive will throw a bunch of AV sync errors but actually complete the disc. Going in and actually viewing the file, at the AV sync time stamps there are large square chunks of errors in the video and the audio is distorted. I didn't notice at first because I wasn't paying much attention to the logs, so I may have a number of files spread around my Plex that have messed up video and audio at certain parts.

Any idea why this one external DVD drive is not failing like a good drive should, and instead giving me crap rips? They're the exact same part number, same firmware, same drivers, etc. The only difference I can find is that one drive has the region set to 1 and the other doesn't have the region set, but I can't imagine that has anything to do with it.

I did also recently change to unrestricted read speed by editing my registry, but I can't see why that would allow this either.

Thanks for the info.

P.S. ~ Unrelated, I've tried 4 UHD discs so far in my drive and only one is recognized, are the UHD discs just incredibly finicky?
dcoke22

Re: Rip *not* failing at errors, GP65NB60

Post by dcoke22 »

nmo4v wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:01 am
P.S. ~ Unrelated, I've tried 4 UHD discs so far in my drive and only one is recognized, are the UHD discs just incredibly finicky?
It depends what you mean by 'recognized'. UHDs require the downloading of decryption keys. If MakeMKV is having trouble with that, then it will seem like it isn't working.

UHD FAQ Check out the hashed keys section of the FAQ.

Also, the data density on UHDs is very high. CDs, DVDs, blu-rays, and UHDs are all the same physical size. CDs hold about 700 MB. UHDs can hold 100GB. The tolerances are a lot tighter on UHDs.
nmo4v

Post by nmo4v »

Sorry, I mean MakeMKV has a greyed out icon like there's no disc in the tray, and in "My Computer" if you look at the optical drive it does not show that a disc is in the tray.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

If the drive doesn't recognize the disc, then the disc might be dirty, or, if it happens on a lot of discs, the drive might be dodgy.
dotcom624

Post by dotcom624 »

Curious if you found the problem? I just bought this drive. I assume it is the LG 8x Super Multi Ultra slim DVD? I haven’t had this issue yet, but it is really slow compared to an older Samsung portable I have.

Also wondering how you’re reading UHD? Do you mean UHD Blu-Ray or am I not understanding? This is a DVD drive only, I think.