How can I limit computer resources used by MakeMKV?

Everything related to MakeMKV
jeffh2o

How can I limit computer resources used by MakeMKV?

Post by jeffh2o »

Hi
Searched for a similar topic, but no luck (though a lot of topics contain these keywords).

I've been using MakeMKV beta on&off for a while to convert my DVDs over to hard-drives. My Dell system has a quad-core CPU with 16GB RAM. Windows 10 OS. The drive(s) that I copy MKV files to, are separate from the SSD used by my OS.

While MKV conversion takes place, I tend to do other activities on my computer. Net surf, stream video, pay-bills &/or draft a brilliant forum topic. :roll: Thing is, MakeMKV appears to be fairly resource intensive at times (while loading, opening, saving/copying, and especially if an imperfect/corrupt spot is encountered on the disc). Not sure what resource it consumes, but everything else on the system basically reduces to a crawl (or even temporarily halts altogether).

Is there a setting that I can adjust to limit the maximum amount of resources allowed for use by the MakeMKV app? I've tried lowering the Details>Priorities in Task Manager to 'Below Normal', but this seems to make little difference. It's OK by me if the MKV save/copy process takes a bit longer, as long as I can open and use other apps at the same time.

Even if so, I was thinking it might be a neat additional app feature if MakeMKV gave the option to Pause in the middle of a title save/copy (e.g. in order to free-up resources to start another app), then flawlessly Continue from precisely where it left off. Could perhaps be added to the current Cancel option (at least when Saving/Copying).

Also for efficiency, might be awesome to have an option to manually Skip a title that is obviously failing for whatever reason, to begin the next selected disc title (would end operation if no other title).

Thanks in advance for any help on this topic, Jeff :)
Woodstock

Re: How can I limit computer resources used by MakeMKV?

Post by Woodstock »

I'm trying to imagine why you would need to limit MakeMKV's resource usage, as it's already fairly limited. Is the target computer limited by physical cores to 4, or is that logical cores?

When it has to "diligently search" a disk for content, that's more of a machine resource problem. MakeMKV itself asks for the contents of the disk, while the operating system locks on to resources necessary to provide them. This is something MakeMKV does not control, and it is different depending on how many copies of MakeMKV are running at the time.

I typically use parts of two cores to run two copies of MakeMKV to rip disks, while the system uses all four cores at about 100% to encode a track with handbrake. The encode shows that MakeMKV is affecting the load, but not by a lot.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

i run 6 makemkvs at once and don't see any slowdowns as its written to another hdd not the os drive you are likely writing to the same drive as your os and its likely a hdd if you notice it then yes your going to see a slow down but your os should be on a ssd and movies written to another drive
Last edited by Billycar11 on Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
thetoad

Post by thetoad »

I'd recommend running it linux where you have the OS primitives to "sandbox" an app to a maximum set of cpu/io resources.
Duake

Post by Duake »

So I'm having the same issue...

While the optical drive is ripping a movie, show, etc., my OS drive, which is an SSD, shoots up to 100% usage. This happens DURING the rip. The drive where it is being saved is only used up to 25%. What is going on?

I don't remember this happening in the past.