Upgrading Drive for Better Results?

Everything related to MakeMKV
HerrNerdstrom

Upgrading Drive for Better Results?

Post by HerrNerdstrom »

Greetings,

I have been ripping mostly blu-ray discs for a while now. However, I still encounter the occasional disc that fails to rip either due to obvious scratches or sometimes without any visible indication of a problem. I try the usual methods of cleaning and buffing, and have even tried repairing the discs (haven't found a way for blu-rays yet -- open to ideas).

One thing for which I would like some feedback is the option of using a different drive. I am currently using an HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH20N via external powered USB. The drive has done quite well, however I am wondering if its age is showing.

Would upgrading to a newer drive improve the success rate of ripping discs with minor imperfections? If so, any recommendations or experience with some that would do a better job?

Thanks!
dcoke22

Re: Upgrading Drive for Better Results?

Post by dcoke22 »

I have three different optical drives. It has been my experience that when a disc doesn't work in my 'main' drive, it often (but not always) works in one of my other drives. Rarely I still get a disc I can't read, even after cleaning, but my success rate with multiple drives is higher than it would be with just one drive.

A side benefit is if you turn on 'Ask for single drive mode' in MakeMKV's preferences, you can rip with multiple drives at the same time.
HerrNerdstrom

Re: Upgrading Drive for Better Results?

Post by HerrNerdstrom »

I purchased the ASUS BW-16D1X-U. Turns out it was able to read every disc my old drive could not, and is more than 50% faster. Keeping both drives for surge ripping, but very pleased with the decision to purchase a second (and different) drive.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.