DVD Audio - MakeMKV fails, DVD Audio Extractor Works

Everything related to MakeMKV
ctbarker32

DVD Audio - MakeMKV fails, DVD Audio Extractor Works

Post by ctbarker32 »

I am curious as to why MakeMKV cannot properly process DVD Audio discs and extract to individual FLAC files from PCM files stored on a DVD Audio Disc? Examples of this are release from King Crimson, Robert Fripp, ELP, etc.

In the case of the Washington Square Church DVD Audio disc, MakeMKV shows all the chapters with "zero" length except for the last one which has all the audio in one file. DVD Audio Extractor worked with this disc as expected and created eleven individual FLAC files. Very quick and convenient. Before I spend more money on special purpose software I would like to know if MakeMKV will ever be made to handle these types of discs.

Thanks.
rdgrimes

Re: DVD Audio - MakeMKV fails, DVD Audio Extractor Works

Post by rdgrimes »

Encrypted files. DVDA Explorer also works. I suspect that foobar2000 will also handle them with the correct plugins, but I have never tried that.
The only thing that will actually copy the disc (ISO) is Fab in DVD Clone Mode.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV is intended for video, not audio.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
ctbarker32

Post by ctbarker32 »

So you enjoy silent films. :lol:
Sometimes, yes...

I was commenting on the fact that DVDA files are different that (standard) DVD video. And MakeMKV is intended for the video flavor.

SOMETIMES, though, the disks have a video track, making them standard DVDs, but not usually for a DVD audio disk. In Theory (a small town outside SomewhereElse), you could rip the DVDA with MakeMKV, but I don't know how you'd do it.
Last edited by ctbarker32 on Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ctbarker32

Post by ctbarker32 »

rdgrimes wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:38 am
Encrypted files. DVDA Explorer also works. I suspect that foobar2000 will also handle them with the correct plugins, but I have never tried that.
The only thing that will actually copy the disc (ISO) is Fab in DVD Clone Mode.
Yes, the DVD Audo Decoder component in Foobar can handle a DVD Audio disc after a fashion but it is less elegant than DVD Audio Extractor and does not handle DVD Audio that is authored as DVD Video.

There are a lot of deluxe music releases that include hirez and multi channel versions that are on either DVD Audio, DVD Video, or Blu-ray. MakeMKV handles almost all these tasks but not without issues.
rdgrimes

Post by rdgrimes »

ctbarker32 wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:13 pm
Yes, the DVD Audo Decoder component in Foobar can handle a DVD Audio disc after a fashion but it is less elegant than DVD Audio Extractor and does not handle DVD Audio that is authored as DVD Video.

There are a lot of deluxe music releases that include hirez and multi channel versions that are on either DVD Audio, DVD Video, or Blu-ray. MakeMKV handles almost all these tasks but not without issues.
All true, but technically its not a DVD-A if its authored as a DVD-V. Those were initially called "DAD" discs, - (stereo audio up to 24/192). DVD-V cannot have full motion video with hi-res audio, only still images.