Ripping speed

Everything related to MakeMKV
arrbee99

Ripping speed

Post by arrbee99 »

Sorry if this has been asked before, but am trying to rip a bluray with 6 episodes on it. It winds up to about 6x speed but then gets to a corrupted episode, three hash check errors and fails to save the file. It moves on to the next episode, which seems fine (I hope), but its sticking to 2x speed. Is there any way to persuade it to get back to ripping at a higher (6x ?) speed again after the errors encountered ?
Am on the latest version and Windows 11
dcoke22

Re: Ripping speed

Post by dcoke22 »

The MakeMKV drive speed control thread talks about the the options.

As I understand it, the most recent versions of MakeMKV try slowing down the ripping process if the drive is having trouble correctly reading the disc to improve the chances of a successful rip. That could be what's happening in your case.

If you've got a lot of discs to get through and you're in a hurry, MakeMKV supports ripping from multiple optical drives at the same time. You could always get another optical drive and rip two at a time.
arrbee99

Post by arrbee99 »

The linked thread is interesting, though I don't think I'll actually change any settings, I'd just bugger something up.
It does look like its slowing when it has trouble, which is good. Was just thinking maybe it could speed back up again, maybe when its moved on to the next large file / episode. I guess the dev has put a lot more thought into such things than I have though...
_Shorty

Post by _Shorty »

What I don't understand is MakeMKV always rips at a slower speed than other programs. This is especially apparent with DVDs where it will only read at 4-5x when other programs will ramp the drive up to its max speed. I don't think I've ever seen MakeMKV run a drive at full speed. Even using the speed settings mentioned in the other thread doesn't change anything. It still reads as slow as molasses in winter. I could understand if it were actually having trouble reading disks and was slowing down to ensure a good read, but that isn't the case. It is just slow, always.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

YMMV of course. I have three different optical drives. I've seen MakeMKV rip at as fast as each drive is capable (greater than 10x for a blu-ray). I've also seen it chug through some parts where it went slow. I don't really pay attention to it much anymore.

In my view, if you've got a large pile of discs to rip, the most efficient way through it is with multiple optical drives. I've found multiple drives to be handy with regards to troublesome discs and well.
_Shorty

Post by _Shorty »

Yeah, I have yet to run into any issues with Blu-Ray discs, and just have the one drive, but I have three different DVD burners handy of different vintages just in case. Each of those sometimes has better luck than the next with some discs in bad condition.