m2TS

Everything related to MakeMKV
Predator66666

m2TS

Post by Predator66666 »

Hi!
Why it is not possible to rip original m2TS File to mkv?
Woodstock

Re: m2TS

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV is for writing MKVs from DVDs and Blurays. "original m2TS" files could be anything.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Predator66666

Post by Predator66666 »

Thanks for quick response!
All my original Blurays has .m2ts Files with the hole Film on it.
So i don't know what "could be anything" means.
I need just the English and German Language,
so that i can save Space.
Don't worry, for MKV's from Disc the most Movies Ripping works fine.
Thanks for this great Software!!!!
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Saving to M2TS is problematic when you do not know what each M2TS file contains. I have disks where a film is made up of dozens of individual M2TS files, and some had multiple subtitle tracks that are NOT included in a general play of the title.

If you're trying to save space by included "just the relevant M2TS files", there are better ways. Handbrake, for example, can remove tracks you do not want from the assembled "file", as well as compressing the video. The results are significantly smaller than the original M2TS files, in most cases.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Predator66666

Post by Predator66666 »

Thanks again for response!
I don't want to save to m2ts, i wan't to save from m2ts to MKV.
I don't need subtitle or any other crap, just the Movie
I've tryed the Demo Version of DVDFab, which just removed
the Protection. And in Combination with MKVToolNix it works
fine to Rip the .m2ts Files in MKV.
When I go to the menu item "Open File", why does the program show me ".ts Files" but not ".m2ts Files" under all Video Files?
If the .m2ts files were displayed here, everything would be fine. Maybe someday .m2ts will appear under all Video Files,
then everything would be perfect. But it's still a really great Program.
Thanks again and keep it up!!!!!
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

MakeMKV doesn't really operate at the .m2ts file level. As Woodstock suggested, there are lots of movies where the single movie is composed of several individual .m2ts files.

With blu-rays and UHDs, MakeMKV has a backup function that copies all the contents of the blu-ray (minus the encryption) into a folder on your hard drive. From there you can find the individual .m2ts files in the STREAM folder.

If saving space is your priority, it is the video that takes up all the space. If you use MediaInfo to examine the contents of a .mkv file, you can see the various sizes of the components of a file. Subtitle tacks are often less than 1 MB. Audio tracks are often several hundred MB or maybe 2GB for a lossless TrueHD track. All the rest is the video portion of the movie, often 20GB or more for a 1080p blu-ray.
BobsYerUncle

Post by BobsYerUncle »

Predator66666 wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:40 pm
Hi!
Why it is not possible to rip original m2TS File to mkv?
Im new here and new to the software also. I think what they all got wrong, was "where is the tree options to pick and choose to backup AND dump into an MKV as the program literally is named??"

Insert your physical movie disc. Click open MakeMKV. Let the program read the disc. Now you should have a picture of a drive, just above the readout window in MakeMKV. This is click able. Click it and, there are your tree options to pick and choose from. Also, on the right side is the MakeMKV option after you set the name and folder location.

It is not very user intuitive. The graphics look like background nonclicky sort of art.