Paid for software now in evaluation stage

Everything related to MakeMKV
Elephen

Paid for software now in evaluation stage

Post by Elephen »

I recently bought an M1 Mac mini to replace an older mini that died. Fortunately, I was able to retrieve the old mini's internal SSDs and copy the MakeMKV app to the new mini. (Clarification: The SSD is attached to my new mini via a cable. I did not transfer my old mini's files to my new mini.) Unfortunately, somewhere in the process, I seem to have lost my status as a purchaser of your software because I was required to click on the Evaluation button to rip a blu ray disk today.

To be honest, I cannot recall the date I purchased the software or how I paid for it. Assuming I paid via credit card, I can find the charge on one of my credit card statements. However, I cannot recall the name MakeMKV.com uses for billing purposes. Is the name something other than "MakeMkV"? Thank you.
d00zah

Re: Paid for software now in evaluation stage

Post by d00zah »

IF you can find the "_private_data.tar" file in the MakeMKV data directory on the old drive:

- shut down MakeMKV
- drop a copy in the current MakeMKV data directory (defined in prefs)
- restart MakeMKV.

Should now be registered. From the 'Help' menu > 'Register', copy/paste a text backup of your key for next time.
Elephen

Post by Elephen »

After spending more than an hour searching for the MakeMKV data directory, I have given up. First, I tried using Finder/Go/Library, which usually shows a lot of folders, but did not see an MakeMKV folder or data directory or see any MakeMKV files in the Preferences folder. Then, I went through every folder I could see. Nada. If the MakeMKV app is working, its files have to be stored somewhere on the Mac, right?
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

MakeMKV data folder is defined in MakeMKV app > Preferences (wrench icon in menu bar) > General tab.

The default location would typically be a '.MakeMKV' folder (note the leading '.' , hidden) in your user's home directory.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/computing/how ... to-finder/

If none of his makes sense, try emailing support@MakeMKV.com .
Last edited by d00zah on Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elephen

Post by Elephen »

I decided to take your advice and contact Support directly. Thanks for all your assistance.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Sorry you had to take the round-about route. Since you had the old drive, I was shooting for a quick 'n' dirty solution There is no plaintext (user readable) config, but that .tar file contained your key & MakeMKV could have read it if copied the correct location. Mike'll get you sorted.
Elephen

Post by Elephen »

Good morning. Having received a new copy of the billing statement and license key, I was able to register MakeMKV once again. To prevent this type mishap in the future, I created a new mailbox, Archive--License Keys, under both of my email addresses. With luck, I won't lose access to both email services at the same time. Thanks again.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

For future reference…

On my Mac with a default install of MakeMKV, _private_data.tar is located at:
Macintosh HD > Users > [username] > Library > MakeMKV

That's the same as is listed on General tab in MakeMKV's preferences, but I'm pretty sure I didn't change the default.

As for keeping licenses… I typically export the email as a PDF and save the .pdf file in a directory in my Documents folder. This way it gets backed up with Time Machine. As long as all your licenses and such end up in the same place, you should be able to find it again in the future.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

dcoke22 wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:17 pm
For future reference…

As for keeping licenses… I typically export the email as a PDF and save the .pdf file in a directory in my Documents folder. This way it gets backed up with Time Machine. As long as all your licenses and such end up in the same place, you should be able to find it again in the future.
I, too, print purchase correspondence to .pdf, zip & store in a multitude of locations (including NAS & a thumb drive). Can't be too careful. :D