MKV Freezing While Saving Blu-Ray or DVD to MKV File

Everything related to MakeMKV
oobedoob

MKV Freezing While Saving Blu-Ray or DVD to MKV File

Post by oobedoob »

I'm currently going through and digitizing my 1800+ Blu-Ray and DVD collection and I've been having a really odd issue with MKV. There are times were I can get through a stack of 15-20 disc with no issues what so ever and then there are times were it's every disc will freeze at a random point in the saving/ripping process, doesn't matter if it's a Blu-Ray or DVD. When it does happen MakeMKV will completely freeze up, but my Windows 10 PC that it's running on will still be somewhat working. I can interact with any open windows, but cannot open any new ones and cannot initiate a shutdown or reboot from the Start menu or command prompt and I'm forced into doing a hard reboot every time. Once I'm back up and running and I try saving that same disc again it all goes smoothly.

At first I thought that the drive I was saving to was going bad since it was several years old so I bought a new one and that worked great for a short period of time and then it went back to the freezing issue.

My system specs are below if that's of any help:
Windows 10 21H1
MakeMKV 1.16.7
Asus BW-12B1ST
Woodstock

Re: MKV Freezing While Saving Blu-Ray or DVD to MKV File

Post by Woodstock »

Most likely you've found a spot where the disk cannot be read, and MakeMKV is trying VERY HARD to read it. It can be an area that is poorly done on the disk. If you watch carefully, you can often see it advancing one frame (or so) at a time.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging