Can MakeMKV fix sync from MKVToolnix

Everything related to MakeMKV
chansavat

Can MakeMKV fix sync from MKVToolnix

Post by chansavat »

As i mentioned in this post

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28061

MakeMKV use to have trouble with TrueHD tracks on disks with seamless branching. At that time i used MakeMKV to do backup with protection removed and used MKVToolnix to generate MKV from that.

Turns out ... MKVToolnix files from seamless branching have problems with some players (eg Plex on NVidia Shield PRO) ... digging a bit deeper ... it seems MKVToolnix does sync with timestamps, unlike MakeMKV which drops audio frames ... and since MakeMKV fixed TrueHD problem, seems MakeMKV files have better compatibility

I tried to run MakeMKV on MKV generated MKVToolnix hoping it fix sync ... but while MakeMKV detects timestamps done by MKVToolnix:

AV sync issue in stream 1 at 0:00:11.197 with duration of 1.166ms : broken timecode, apparent audio skew is +1.166ms
AV sync issue in stream 1 at 0:00:12.183 with duration of 0.833ms : broken timecode, apparent audio skew is -0.333ms
AV sync issue in stream 1 at 0:00:15.185 with duration of 0.5ms : broken timecode, apparent audio skew is +0.833ms
AV sync issue in stream 1 at 0:00:17.188 with duration of 0.5ms : broken timecode, apparent audio skew is -0.333ms

MakeMKV does not apply its sync magic (dropping overlapping frames, ect) ... and result can be even worst sync issue.

Is it possible MakeMKV detects branching points in MKV generated by MKVToolnix ... and apply its magic there

Otherwise, i will have to rerip lots and lots of discs ... something, I am not looking forward to ... if MakeMKV can fix sync in MKVToolnix files, it will save me lots of time