MakeMKV created all hidden files

Everything related to MakeMKV
kirito34

MakeMKV created all hidden files

Post by kirito34 »

I just ran a Fight Club blu-ray through MakeMKV and the folder I thought I put it in was empty. Looking back through the logs, it looks all of the files were "hidden" files with a "._" before each file name so they don't show up in Finder. Navigating to the directory in terminal confirms that the files are there but hidden.

I've ripped probably 1,000 discs and never seen this before. Does anyone know why it would do this and if there's anyway to make the files "reappear" without having to redo the disc?

UPDATE: Looks like the file names were all set to start with a ".", which is what led to them being hidden files. Whether this is some odd fluke or a subtle Project Mayhem experience is anyone's guess. Changing the output file names solved the issue.
RemasterRichie

Re: MakeMKV created all hidden files

Post by RemasterRichie »

Hi all! Jan 2023 here =)

For those of you using a Mac and fall into this issue, from the App Store use an app called "Forklift" and then enable hidden files from within that app by right clicking the toolbar and adding the icon. That app will allow you to see these "Invisible" folders the Fight Club Rip made.

The normal "ShowhiddenFiles" using the terminal method did not for for me on OSX Ventura.

Thanks!
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Normally Command + Shift + . is what one uses to toggle showing hidden files in Finder on macOS.

Other Mac Keyboard Shortcuts.
RemasterRichie

Post by RemasterRichie »

That step did not work for me as the files stayed hidden yet we’re on the hard drive