Suggested MakeMKV Improvements.

Everything related to MakeMKV
MovieLuver

Suggested MakeMKV Improvements.

Post by MovieLuver »

Here are some suggested improvements for makemkv.

1) Have a way to (automatically) resume a rip if makemkv encounters a MEDIUM/READ error. I don't care if my video is missing 10 seconds to a minute of content. I have so many BD that I cannot rip because they have a small read error that makemkv is basically useless to me.

2) Have a way to automatically disable unneeded content, such as Closed Captioning and soundtracks in languages I don't speak. No need to read and store more data than needed. More data read = more chances of read errors. More data read = more storage needed.

Presently it is a pain to go down the title list and disable all the stuff I don't need. I suggest some settings in Preferences like Disable CC Ripping (for language X) and Disable Soundtrack Ripping (for language X) Or alternatively, Enable Soundtrack Ripping for (list of languages) so that the user can tailor his settings.

These would just be the defaults when the titles are populated. The user could then over ride them manually before ripping.
PimpDiggler

Re: Suggested MakeMKV Improvements.

Post by PimpDiggler »

2) Have a way to automatically disable unneeded content, such as Closed Captioning and soundtracks in languages I don't speak. No need to read and store more data than needed. More data read = more chances of read errors. More data read = more storage needed.

The app already does this. Set your preferred language in the preferences and all other languages audio track will be deselected automatically.

As for the other titles I right click deselect all and select the title I am interested in and with the changes above you should be go to go
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

PimpDiggler wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:32 pm

The app already does this. Set your preferred language in the preferences and all other languages audio track will be deselected automatically.

As for the other titles I right click deselect all and select the title I am interested in and with the changes above you should be go to go
Furthermore, by enabling 'Expert mode' (on preferences > General tab) you can take advantage of Changing default track selection. See Advanced MakeMKV usage for other tips.
pipo233

Post by pipo233 »

1) Have a way to (automatically) resume a rip if makemkv encounters a MEDIUM/READ error. I don't care if my video is missing 10 seconds to a minute of content. I have so many BD that I cannot rip because they have a small read error that makemkv is basically useless to me.
This would be a great feature! make a option in settings what behavior you want: break off by error or continue if it is a small error.

I think it is sometimes better to continue ripping, at least you will get a playable file although there will be missing parts but that is better as no file at all
MovieLuver

Post by MovieLuver »

PimpDiggler wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:32 pm
Thanks. I wasn't aware of this functionality.

The option to default to no CC would be a nice addition.
Last edited by MovieLuver on Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MovieLuver

Post by MovieLuver »

pipo233 wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:44 pm
This would be a great feature! make a option in settings what behavior you want: break off by error or continue if it is a small error.
I think it is sometimes better to continue ripping, at least you will get a playable file although there will be missing parts but that is better as no file at all
MakeMKV is basically useless to me without this feature. 50% of the disks I rip have errors in the main content and don't get written to the hard drive. I've tried cleaning the disks and 2 different players. LG WH16NS40 and a BU40N.

I am going to try this process on the next disk that can't be read.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16920
jinx100

Post by jinx100 »

That is an high failure rate. I've ripped over one hundred blu-rays and had only one failure from a defective disc on an old WH14NS40 drive.
MovieLuver

Post by MovieLuver »

The LG WH16NS40 drive failed tonight. It wouldn't read a disk at all and now it won't read any, even disks it previously read.

I'm guessing there is a bug is makemkv software.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

MovieLuver wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:11 am
The LG WH16NS40 drive failed tonight. It wouldn't read a disk at all and now it won't read any, even disks it previously read.

I'm guessing there is a bug is makemkv software.
its a bug in the drive firmware not makemkv shutdown your pc for a min then power up it should start working again
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
MovieLuver

Post by MovieLuver »

shutdown your pc for a min then power up it should start working again
Thanks for the tip. I did and it started working again.