MakeMKV installer says directory is not empty install in other directory

Everything related to MakeMKV
perhansa

MakeMKV installer says directory is not empty install in other directory

Post by perhansa »

There is no installation of MakeMKV of any version on this Windows 7 64 bit multi HD installation. There is absolutely no directory named MakeMKV in my Program Files\Media folder. There is no entry in the Registry for a program named MakeMKV. There is no program shown that I can uninstall in the Control Panel\Programs and Features. I always for 25years never installed anything in my System partition. All installations go to a D:\Program Files directory. For the 7 or 8 years that I have very happily been using this wonderful program, I have at times run into the error message, when the above defined conditions apply, that the folder exists or has files in it and I have to install into another directory. Since all of the above conditions apply what is wrong with your installer that you seem to refuse to fix. All questions relating to this issue are only findable from the outside, i.e. Google search not within the forum using the same search query as is used in google search. So what is the problem? This is obviously an installer problem as it occurs only in the installation of MakeMKV and in no other program installation that I have ever used. Your work arounds do not work consistently and this ?feature? is certainly applicable only to this installer package. Any body want to answer this question?????
Woodstock

Re: MakeMKV installer says directory is not empty install in other directory

Post by Woodstock »

The installer does not automatically overwrite an existing directory. The default install directory for Windows is "C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV", not in "\Program Files\Media".

Where did you tell it to install? If you put in "\Program Files\Media", that directory already exists on most Windows 7 and above installations. You would have to specify a location that does not exist yet. It can be in \Program Files\Media, but it should have a unique name.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging