No Sound

Everything related to MakeMKV
Bearinbama

No Sound

Post by Bearinbama »

Hello....I have copied some blu rays but on some of them I have no sound. Any suggestions?
Woodstock

Re: No Sound

Post by Woodstock »

More information is needed.

What are you trying to play the MKVs with?

Did you select a preferred language in MakeMKV, and do the BDs have audio tracks in that language?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Bearinbama

Post by Bearinbama »

I have played them through windows media player...some have sound..some dont
asmian

Post by asmian »

I'm not so sure this is PEBKAC (as implied by Woodstock's response). I have ripped a number of discs recently: Junjo Romantica vol 3 (Japanese audio only), Ivan's Childhood Criterion release (Russian audio only) and now the Walerian Borowczyk Short Films collection (Polish audio only), all of which had NO audio track in the MakeMKV output files. It's been a chore re-ripping to backup to access the raw .m2ts files to get the audio that MakeMKV did NOT save out.

I'm trying to understand where in the settings there could be an option to REMOVE tracks, since I certainly haven't set anything other than defaults. The DEFAULT setting should surely be always to include ALL tracks. :shock: AFAIK I haven't set anything that says "discard anything not English", unless that option is poorly described in the program descriptions. There is nothing in the main website under the FAQ or "tutorials" that mentions troubleshooting audio tracks not being included.

In the "Advanced" Preferences tab there is an option for "Default selection rule":

Code: Select all

-sel:all,+sel:(favlang|nolang),-sel:mvcvideo,=100:all,-10:favlang
Where is the information on how to alter this for our own preferences? In particular, how can we ensure that EVERYTHING is encoded that's in the source file, regardless of preferred language settings or whatever else is affecting this? What I don't want I can mux out myself afterwards. I don't want anything silently removed before that stage.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Changing default track selection

To select ALL tracks:

+sel:all
asmian

Post by asmian »

Thanks, d00zah.

Now I've found that unsetting it to "None" works for me, it's the "Preferred language" setting that is badly worded in the program interface. First, while it is separate from the interface language selection, it doesn't explain that this setting will affect disc ripping (or how). In particular, it does not warn "Removes everything except this language" - which is its actual behaviour. For something so destructive, this setting needs better marking within the preferences tab to avoid inadvertent mis-selection.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

When dealing with "foreign language disks" of all sorts, language selection can go wrong in so many ways. Some titles tag all tracks as English, even when the spoken language is Japanese, Chinese, Malay, German, whatever. I've gotten disks that have English, Malay, and Chinese audio tracks, all tagged as English. Some anime disks only list English, even if they're subtitled Japanese, because of how many players work.

The link d00zah gave can offer some different options like, "select all audio but give (x) priority if found". Something to help when the disk is authored by idiots.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging