Speed

Everything related to MakeMKV
Davidxxx69

Speed

Post by Davidxxx69 »

I’ve read in a few places that the speed for ripped with MakeMkv is supposed to be pretty decent. Anywhere from 30mins to a couple hours which is good I feel. But I’ve had this going for over an hour and it’s barely moved. Is there any tricks or tips anyone has for it. Thanks I’m advance
Woodstock

Re: Speed

Post by Woodstock »

Information would be helpful if you want an answer.

What are you trying to rip? (DVD, BD, UHD)

Does the MakeMKV debug log show any errors?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Davidxxx69

Post by Davidxxx69 »

Sorry. Just a regular BD. Approx 1hour 45 min movie. No bug issues. I had it going all night and it still showed it had 10 hours to go.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

If the optical drive is having trouble correctly reading the disc, the read speeds can be very slow. Often the main culprit is the disc is dirty. Blu-ray players are designed to ignore read errors since most people are unlikely to notice a small error during playback of a movie. MakeMKV, on the other hand, is attempting to make a 'perfect' copy of the disc, so it does not ignore read errors.

Perhaps try gently cleaning your disc and ripping again. On the rare occasions when I have to clean a disc, I use plenty of warm water and dish soap. First I blast it with water. Then I add dish soap and lightly rub from the inside edge to the outside edge (perpendicular) with my fingers. I rinse it thoroughly, then lay it label side down onto a towel. I use a can of air to blast the water droplets off the disc to dry it. The goal is to minimize the chance of adding any scratches to the disc and if I do accidentally, that they're perpendicular to how the data is written on the disc.

The water should get rid of any dust or particles on the surface of the disc. The dish soap should get rid of any oils on the disc. This is just what I do; there are other equally valid cleaning methods.
Davidxxx69

Post by Davidxxx69 »

With a super clean disc. How long does it normally take you to rip a BD disc
jinx100

Post by jinx100 »

A few more details on what you are trying to do would be helpful. Are you making an MKV file or copying the disc? Any log information would be useful and Woodstock gave a link to turn on debug logging at the bottom of his reply. For all I know, you left all the files checked on a Lionsgate movie and are making 100+ slightly different copies of the same movie.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

My process is I make a decrypted backup of the whole disc, about 25 minutes +/- (for a regular blu-ray, UHDs take longer). My LG WH16NS60 seems to be, on average, a little faster than my ASUS BW-16D1HT, but the ASUS will often read a disc that my LG stumbles on.

Then, I load the backup and create the .mkv file(s) I'm interested in from the backup, taking care to correctly label things like commentary tracks, etc. That goes as fast as my storage will go, about 100x or 400 M/s read rate, often between 2 - 3 minutes for a 2 hour movie.

As a side note, MakeMKV can make use of more than one optical drive at the same time. If you have more than one optical drive, you can set a preference in MakeMKV to 'request single drive mode' so you can isolate each running instance of MakeMKV to a single optical drive. Then, if you have 2 drives, you can start two instances of MakeMKV, and have each running at the same time independently.