Title XXXX.mpls is equal to title XXXX.mpls and was skipped

Everything related to MakeMKV
DWreck1995

Title XXXX.mpls is equal to title XXXX.mpls and was skipped

Post by DWreck1995 »

So I noticed MakeMKV is skipping one of the playlists in 28 Days Later because it thinks it's the same as another playlist. They share the same m2ts file but they have two different title lengths. Anyone got any ideas?
thetoad

Re: Title XXXX.mpls is equal to title XXXX.mpls and was skipped

Post by thetoad »

use mkvtoolnix (after decryption). I've brought this up a number of times that I think MakeMKV sometimes tries to be too smart, but it hasn't changed.
DWreck1995

Post by DWreck1995 »

thetoad wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:20 pm
use mkvtoolnix (after decryption). I've brought this up a number of times that I think MakeMKV sometimes tries to be too smart, but it hasn't changed.
Great idea.

I also noticed that MakeMKV straight up missed playlists. When I had MKVToolNix scan the playlists it found a bunch of the extras (deleted scenes, trailers, etc) that MakeMKV couldn't see for some reason. It's the first time I've ever had MakeMKV "miss" things.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

"Extras" can be "missed" if they're shorter than your minimum file size. The log will show them as skipped.

If you want to see everything MakeMKV sees, reduce the default 120 seconds to 1.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
jinx100

Post by jinx100 »

DWreck1995 wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:11 am
So I noticed MakeMKV is skipping one of the playlists in 28 Days Later because it thinks it's the same as another playlist. They share the same m2ts file but they have two different title lengths. Anyone got any ideas?
Maybe this post viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24777 explains the different lengths with the same list of .mts files in two different .mpls files.
DWreck1995

Post by DWreck1995 »

Woodstock wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:16 pm
"Extras" can be "missed" if they're shorter than your minimum file size. The log will show them as skipped.

If you want to see everything MakeMKV sees, reduce the default 120 seconds to 1.
You're right. I should've mentioned that I already did that. It's not that it's officially "skipping" them. It's that MakeMKV doesn't even "see" them. The log doesn't show the playlists at all.
jinx100 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:29 pm
DWreck1995 wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:11 am
Maybe this post viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24777 explains the different lengths with the same list of .mts files in two different .mpls files.
That's interesting.

So here's the issue:

Title information
Source file name: 00043.mpls
Duration: 0:16:33
Chapters count: 8
Size: 1.0 GB
Segment count: 1
Segment map: 50
File name: title_t01.mkv

Title 00039.mpls(1) is equal to title 00043.mpls and was skipped

It's true that MPLS 43 is 16:33 minutes. But MPLS 39 (not sure why there's a "(1)" in it) is only 9:21 minutes. I tried a work-a-round where I backed up the disc to BDMV folders and deleted MPLS 43 so MakeMKV would be forced to see MPLS 39. But even then, it still thought it was 16:33 minutes. So for some reason it's simply not acknowledging that the MPLS 39 playlist is only 9:21 minutes, MKVToolNix did though.

MKVToolNix also saw the MPLS playlists with the extras that MakeMKV wasn't able to detect. There was 5 or 6 of those. So that's a separate issue.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The steps indicated in the Debug Logging FAQ linked in my signature do still apply - you can submit the information about the disks that MakeMKV has problems with to support@makemkv.com for Mike to look at.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging