makemkv can't find any usable optical drives -Windows 10 Pro-

Everything related to MakeMKV
bennacer

makemkv can't find any usable optical drives -Windows 10 Pro-

Post by bennacer »

Dear community,

I've a big issue with makemkv.
It's not albe to find any usable optical drives (screenshot at the bottom of the page), but Windows and all other applications do.
It's not allowed to change "Administrative Templates" because my version of Windows is Pro not Home.

PLEASE DO YOU HAVE ANY SOLUTION?????
It's driving me crazy.
many many thanks

bennacer
Immagine 2021-10-09 125916.jpg
Immagine 2021-10-09 125916.jpg (47.76 KiB) Viewed 3812 times
Woodstock

Re: makemkv can't find any usable optical drives -Windows 10 Pro-

Post by Woodstock »

Windows 10 does not, by default, allow low-level access to REMOVABLE MEDIA, as part of the "anti ransomware protection", unless the software has been signed by Microsoft as "safe". MakeMKV is not signed by Microsoft; You need to add an exception for it.

Rather than point you at a potentially fishy site that explains how to do this, I suggest a search for "windows ransomware exception" and picking one of the Microsoft tech articles on it.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
bennacer

Post by bennacer »

thanks for your answer.

unfortunately my "anti ransomware protection" is disabled so there isn't any exception to allow......
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

bennacer wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:27 pm
thanks for your answer.

unfortunately my "anti ransomware protection" is disabled so there isn't any exception to allow......
Just for grins, have you tried running MakeMKV w/ elevated privileges (Run as Administrator)? IF that works, there's an option, unchecked by default during installation, which may help w/ that situation.
bennacer

Post by bennacer »

d00zah wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:28 pm
bennacer wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:27 pm
thanks for your answer.

Just for grins, have you tried running MakeMKV w/ elevated privileges (Run as Administrator)? IF that works, there's an option, unchecked by default during installation, which may help w/ that situation.
no way- neither with the option checked nor with the option unchecked ............................
: (
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

In addition to the ransomware settings, Windows 10 Pro can have group policy restrictions on using optical drives. Some kick in when you are using remote access software (Gotomypc, Windows Remote Access, similar), and some that deal with local access by non-admin users. You can even disable access by ALL users to the command channels of a drive. And Windows Defender can impose restrictions.

Personally, I've only had to deal with the remote user permissions. Those were simple to avoid by not using remote access until I corrected them. They were also rather obvious that things would work UNTIL you weren't on-site.

Is this a machine that has any remote admin functions set up, or are you the machine admin?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
bennacer

Post by bennacer »

Woodstock wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:09 am
In addition to the ransomware settings, Windows 10 Pro can have group policy restrictions on using optical drives. Some kick in when you are using remote access software (Gotomypc, Windows Remote Access, similar), and some that deal with local access by non-admin users. You can even disable access by ALL users to the command channels of a drive. And Windows Defender can impose restrictions.

Personally, I've only had to deal with the remote user permissions. Those were simple to avoid by not using remote access until I corrected them. They were also rather obvious that things would work UNTIL you weren't on-site.

Is this a machine that has any remote admin functions set up, or are you the machine admin?
Dear Woodstock,

many thanks for your help and constancy.

to be honest I think that there isn't any user permission or restriction that it's not allowed, especially related to optical drive.
I'm the admin of lapton and I assume this position because the optical drive works with all the other programs (VLC etc etc)
I guess the issue is related toe MakeMKV itself .....