Help with saving DVD through MakeMKV

Everything related to MakeMKV
Sand01

Help with saving DVD through MakeMKV

Post by Sand01 »

Hi All
I am saving home family holiday DVD's to digital as feel this is the next step to safely store them and watch them.

I have saved this onto an external Hard drive through Make MKV , it shows the video but not the Menu's, is there anything else I need to do? Also is the best way of then viewing them for future use?

Thanks for any help, just to say my PC knowledge is basic, I muddle through by getting advice :)
Woodstock

Re: Help with saving DVD through MakeMKV

Post by Woodstock »

MKV files do not have menus, so there really isn't anything you can do to preserve them with MakeMKV.

If menus are necessary, your best bet would be to just copy the DVDs as an ISO file.

Alternatively, using proper names for the MKV files can make it easier to choose which files to play in your media player.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Sand01

Post by Sand01 »

ok thank you, I will google how to save as ISO file as all new to me.

Thanks for your help
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Saving to an ISO is easy or hard, depending on your operating system. Linus and Mac have the program dd available at the command prompt, which will do the job.

There are programs you can download for Windows to do the same thing. If you already have a disk burner program installed, it probably has a "copy disk to file" function.

They simply copy the whole disk to a file, making no changes to the content.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
thetoad

Post by thetoad »

assuming these are home videos (so no encryption) imgburn or the like are easy tools to copy the iso