Problems with integration in MC

Everything related to MakeMKV
emm_mkv

Problems with integration in MC

Post by emm_mkv »

I'm having serious issues playing Blu-Ray discs in J River Media Center with MakeMKV integration used for decryption. I've tried versions 27.0.85 and 28.0.49 with similar results.

Starting playback works just fine.

When trying to enter Blu-Ray Menu mode MC crashes and terminates. Same behavior is observed when trying to select a different title during playback.

When playback is stopped and then immediately re-started on the same disc, MC also crashes and terminates.

Make MKV works perfectly for making backups of both HD and UHD discs.

I've been assured that the problem is not in MC according to the feedback I got on J River's Interact forum. I was also told that they can not provide support for third party tools.

Anyone else run into this problem?
mike admin

Re: Problems with integration in MC

Post by mike admin »

Obviously, my response would be that it is MC that is at fault, and MakeMKV's decryption engine (libmmbd) is very stable and bla bla bla.

What can actually help - please do collect the full debug dump next time the thing crashes - http://www.makemkv.com/onlinehelp/dump.html . Please do it for the actual process that crashed, and then send it to support@makemkv.com , and if it is indeed MC at fault, I'll forward it to the right people. Or fix my bug :)
emm_mkv

Post by emm_mkv »

Thanks for the quick reply and offer of help!

I just sent a couple of dump files via e-mail as requested. One for when MC crashes when entering Menu Mode and another for the case where disc playback is re-started after stopping.

The files were generated using MC version 27.0.85

Thanks in advance for your help!
thetoad

Post by thetoad »

MakeMKV doesn't create backups that can always be played with menus (i.e. java based discs with java based protections). It doesn't do anything to muck with the java code. If you want menus for a java based disc, you need to use a different tool.
emm_mkv

Post by emm_mkv »

Right!

We're talking about disc playback here...
thetoad

Post by thetoad »

that's what I said, MakeMKV doesn't always create backups that are usable for disc playback. Its not designed for it. The fact that it sometimes works is more of a happy accident than a design principle. i.e. even for non java discs, it wont remove region coding (though not so hard to remove it manually)
emm_mkv

Post by emm_mkv »

I'm guessing this is a dead issue.

Am I wrong?
koberulz

Post by koberulz »

Integration in VLC seems to be broken now.

Every time I try to play a Blu-ray, as soon as I hit "Play" on the "Open Disc..." dialog, VLC simply closes itself. I get a message next time I start it saying it crashed on its last run.

If I disable integration and use AnyDVD, the disc plays fine. Disabling both, I'm able to play home-burned Blu-rays with no issue.

So it seems like it's definitely MakeMKV related.
Faber

Post by Faber »

koberulz wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:54 pm
Integration in VLC seems to be broken now.

Every time I try to play a Blu-ray, as soon as I hit "Play" on the "Open Disc..." dialog, VLC simply closes itself. I get a message next time I start it saying it crashed on its last run.

If I disable integration and use AnyDVD, the disc plays fine. Disabling both, I'm able to play home-burned Blu-rays with no issue.

So it seems like it's definitely MakeMKV related.
How did you install MakeMKV? From source, Flatpak, Snap, etc?