Possible to add / import an audio track to an MKV?

Everything related to MakeMKV
ben_uk

Possible to add / import an audio track to an MKV?

Post by ben_uk »

Hi there,

Just wondered, I love the Batman 89 film however I hate what they did with the new sound FX. Is it possible to rip the UHD and then somehow substitute the old Blu Ray soundtrack into the MKV?
d00zah

Re: Possible to add / import an audio track to an MKV?

Post by d00zah »

MKVToolNix

MKVExtractGUI -windows GUI for track extraction

'How-Tos' are only a google away...
ben_uk

Post by ben_uk »

I think I’ve been able to extract an audio track however I’ve had no luck in doing the next bit (marrying it up with the new video). Are there any good idiot guides out there on how to do this? I did a google search and tried to follow a couple but they were kinda vague on a few aspects.

Thanks! Ben.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I've experimented with merging multiple MKV files and selecting which tracks from each to incorporate into the output. This works as long as the video tracks are the same length... which they may not be.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
ben_uk

Post by ben_uk »

Woodstock wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:20 pm
I've experimented with merging multiple MKV files and selecting which tracks from each to incorporate into the output. This works as long as the video tracks are the same length... which they may not be.
That sounds perfect. Would you mind talking me through how you do it please?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Using the GUI, select the "Multiplexer" tool. Add the 4K MKV file. Click "Add source file" and add the BD MKV file. Make sure you do NOT select "Append source file".

You will have the "Tracks, chapters and tags:" from both MKV files listed. Check the ones you want, and uncheck the ones you don't want. The two will be separated by the video tracks, so you (if you added 4K first) you'll leave the video checked/selected, remove the audio tracks you don't want, then uncheck everything from the second BD group EXCEPT the audio tracks you want.

When done, make sure the Destination file path is what you want, then click on Start multiplexing.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
ben_uk

Post by ben_uk »

Hey Woodstock,

Thanks for your help with this. I am currently working on combining The Thing as the UHD soundtrack has an audio problem, so I have grabbed the Arrow video release to try and import those audio tracks. I have kinda figured it out. I had to add a quite huge delay (750ms) to the audio stream off the BD, it just about matches up.

One thing that hasn't worked too well is that when I add the 4.1 soundtracks and then play them in the new combined MKV, the 4.1 soundtracks are all messed up, its like there are missing channels or something as some sound effects are really loud but all of the speech is super low volume. When I play the same soundtrack on the actual BD it sound fine (of course), so something untoward has happened during the merge. Any thoughts?

Thanks once again mate,

Ben.