When will MakeMKV exit beta?

Everything related to MakeMKV
alancfa

When will MakeMKV exit beta?

Post by alancfa »

Is there a timeframe for the exit from beta status?
Thanks.
Woodstock

Re: When will MakeMKV exit beta?

Post by Woodstock »

There are a LOT of people (including paid users like myself) who would not really like MakeMKV exiting beta. Having a "production release" can lock in bugs to a certain extent. "Oh, that's fixed in the beta!"

Non-registered users would, of course, complain about not being able to use it forever for "free". Some become belligerent when the beta key expires and isn't replaced immediately.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
mkvfanclub

Post by mkvfanclub »

I always thought that maybe MakeMKV remains in beta because of legal issues - since it does circumvent copy protection but maybe being a beta program gives it (and the author) some legal protection? And same story with the software key - it's completely free and maybe that gives more legal protection because the author provides a free time-limited key and purchase is completely optional?

Just a theory, I don't know if any of the above has any merit at all. And while we all love to see programs come out of beta, the reality is that if MakeMKV did that, it would only be a version tag change so wouldn't really change or improve anything. In fact, you could argue that the program is only in beta from a legal standpoint. But in reality, the program is finished with small updates being released from time to time. That's how I look at it so I wouldn't be surprised if it remains beta forever.
spl147

Post by spl147 »

alancfa wrote:Is there a timeframe for the exit from beta status?
Thanks.
My question is why does it matter?
ericsan

Post by ericsan »

Woodstock wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:22 pm
There are a LOT of people (including paid users like myself) who would not really like MakeMKV exiting beta. Having a "production release" can lock in bugs to a certain extent. "Oh, that's fixed in the beta!"

Non-registered users would, of course, complain about not being able to use it forever for "free". Some become belligerent when the beta key expires and isn't replaced immediately.
Exiting beta version has its pros and cons, I think when it happens they will become more obvious.
mkvfanclub

Post by mkvfanclub »

I use MakeMKV so much (for my 3 DVD drives) that I bought a key. And that's a big deal for me because I would never, ever pay for a key for a program that's in beta. But MakeMKV doesn't feel beta for me. It feels complete with the occasional update like any other program. So I bought it some weeks ago as a way of supporting development.

At least there is only one version of MakeMKV to buy. Many other programs in the DVD ripping category offer a so-called 'lifetime license' which is usually a bit of a scam because it's only for the lifetime of the current version. The company behind it usually brings out a new version where the 'lifetime license' no longer applies.

MakeMKV not only has just one version but even purchase is completely optional. It's one of my favorite programs and the 'beta' tag doesn't matter to me at all in this case.